Dereham Town 4, Great Yarmouth Town 1
Great Yarmouth allowed Dereham to do the double over them as the Magpies ran out victors at a rain soaked Aldiss Park.
A brace from Dereham's Borrer either side of a Roscoe consolation was enough to keep the Bloaters winless away from home.
The Bloaters made one enforced change, Scott Addy replacing Jake Jessup who has joined Lowestoft, while Scott Woodcock started on the bench after returning from suspension.
The game took a while to develop as both teams tried to adjust to the slippery conditions. It finally got going after 12 minutes when a Dereham free kick from the right side was headed goalwards, with Addy clawing the ball away from underneath his own crossbar.
Moments later the Bloaters could have taken the lead. Spooner was one-on-one with the goalkeeper after beating two defenders to a bouncing ball. The goalkeeper slipped on the wet ground allowing Spooner a chance at goal, but he stood on the ball, allowing the defence to clear away.
You may also want to watch:
Dereham were allowed the majority of possession within the first half, but were limited to the chances they had. So they would have been aggrieved if Yarmouth had taken the lead four minutes before half-time. Vide, found by Miller's ball to the right, crossed to Spooner in the area, who looped his header over the crossbar.
But it was the home side that took the lead moments before the break. Roberts, from the edge of the Bloaters' penalty area, curled his shot to the top far corner, out of the reach of Addy.
- 1 Work started on four new homes without permission
- 2 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 5 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 6 Holt Hall for sale after years of uncertainty
- 7 Christmas craft, food and gift fair returning to Norfolk estate
- 8 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 9 Man who died after a medical episode in Hopton identified
- 10 Swathes of new homes for village move step closer with new planning bid
Whatever was said in the dressing room went out of the window after only three minutes of the second half, Borrer heading into the net after a well worked short corner.
Yarmouth hit back instantly with their first attack of the second half, Roscoe hitting the far corner of the net after Vide's through ball from the edge of the area.
But the second half firmly belonged to Dereham as they scored two more goals and created several more chances before the end of the game.
Marsden could have scored after 72 minutes when he hit a low shot from the edge of the area that rebounded off the post to Fulcher, whose shot was blocked by the goalkeeper.
After 77 minutes Dereham regained their two goal advantage when Borrer made a chance out of seemingly nothing. His shot from 30 yards from a central position flew past the hand of the outstretched Addy.
It could have been four just minutes later. A shot from the left corner of the penalty area was spilled by Addy into the path of an Dereham player, but Short got back in time to clear it away.
And the misery was completed two minutes before full time when Howard tapped in a well worked move on the left.
• Dereham: J Marshall; O Willis, O Thomson, G Starling, J Marsden; B Smith (S Applegate, 83), S Borrer, N Howell, J Marsden (S Huddell, 83); A Fulcher (N Howard, 80), S Roberts. Unused Subs: C White, C Hurton
Goals: Roberts 44; Borrer 48, 77; Howards 88
• Yarmouth: S Addy; E Short (L Crux, 81), A Ager (C), D Baldock, J Page; J Miller, A Mills; J Clark (S Woodcock, 53), L Roscoe, F Vide; G Spooner (K Bartley, 71). Unused Subs: S Steer.
Goals: Roscoe 51
• Attendance: 128