Dereham Town 4 Erith & Belvedere 1

Shaun Bammant has left Dereham to join Lowestoft Town on loan.

Shaun Bammant has left Dereham to join Lowestoft Town on loan. - Credit: IAN BURT

Dereham Town took one step closer to the Ryman North play offs on Saturday, as they thrashed struggling Erith & Belvedere 4-1 at Aldiss Park.

The win leaves the Magpies just two points off the play off places and after the game Dereham Town assistant manager Neil Simmons praised his sides performance.

He said: 'We started really well today got ourselves in front, they then pulled it back to 1-1.

'We then scored two very important goals at the right time, which pretty much killed the game off and after that we got a bit too comfortable before securing the win with a great fourth goal.

'Overall it was a great team performance and a fully deserved win for the lads.'

With 10 minutes played, in form Magpies striker Shaun Bammant made the visitors pay for a defensive slip, as he capitalised on a mistake by Tommy Whelan to fire the Magpies ahead with a powerful right footed effort.

After the goal, there was little to report, however in the 28th minute the game burst into life - seeing two goals in just three minutes.

Most Read

Firstly Erith equalised with their first chance of the afternoon, after Taylor Thomas finished off Reis Boyle's in-swinging corner.

Then just three minutes later, Luke Tuttle was brought down by Danny Dolan and Bammant stepped up to restore the Magpies lead.

Just two minutes from the break and excellent play from Bammant set up Nicky Howell who made it 3-1 to the Magpies, finishing off a quick Dereham counter attack.

After the break, the Magpies came under strong pressure from the visitors and they needed clearances from Jay Eastoe-Smith and Lewis Sturman to maintain their two-goal cushion.

Dereham began to re-establish their authority and they made it 4-1 when Jay Eastoe-Smith headed home Adam Smith's corner.

Bammant, who it was announced after the game has agreed to join Lowestoft on loan for the rest of the season, came close to getting his hat-trick but the visitors avoided conceded a fifth.

Dereham: Wilton, Willis (Greenslade 72), Starling (Sturman 25), Borrer, Eastoe-Smith, Morphew, Howell, Smith (Kay 66), Bammant, Tuttle, Beaumont. Subs not used: Bussens.

Erith: Bourne, Dolan (Roberts 73), Whelan, Springett, Boyle, Clark, Flack (Alade 62), Miller, Senkatuka, Fitzpatrick, Thomas. Subs not used: Clarke.

Referee: Mr. J. Steele.

Attendance: 167.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter