Dereham Town 3 Potters Bar 1: Jamie Forshaw brace helps Magpies to routine victory
- Credit: Ian Burt
Dereham recorded another league win with a good all-round display at Aldiss Park against Potters Bar.
The Magpies made an ideal start when they took the lead in the second minute. Danny Beaumont and Robbie Linford combined to set up Rhys Logan who struck a 25-yard drive that visiting keeper Berkeley Laurencin could only parry, allowing the alert Jamie Forshaw to net from close range.
As the home pressure continued Logan outstripped the Potters Bar defence and pulled the ball back to the far post where Danny Beaumont displayed great technique to volley home and increase the lead with only six minutes gone.
The visitors won a free kick just outside the box but Michael Murray's effort strayed just wide.
As they threatened again Bagnema Ketia passed inside to Billy Baird, whose low drive looked to be heading for the net until home keeper Elliot Pride dived full length to make a fine save.
You may also want to watch:
After an even period of play, Dereham won a free kick in a central position 40 yards out; Beaumont lifted the ball towards the far post where Ollie Ebbage headed across goal to Forshaw, who headed home his second and the Magpies third in the 38th minute.
At the start of the second half Pride was forced to save Keira's 20 yarder before the Magpies lost Sam Garner to a nasty knee injury.
- 1 Drink driver arrested after crashing into two trees in Norwich
- 2 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 3 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 4 Jack-knifed lorry shuts A148 as police issue ice warning
- 5 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 6 Map reveals the most serious crashes on the NDR since it fully opened
- 7 The secrets and scandals of a former Norwich hotel
- 8 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 9 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
- 10 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
However, Dereham came close to extending their lead in the 65th minute with defender Steve Brown having to clear Forshaw's volley off the line to deny the number 10 a hat-trick.
The impressive young Owen Murphy produced a searching ball from the right before Logan went on a solo run and fired wide.
The Hertfordshire side missed a great chance in the 84th minute when Eoin Casey ballooned the ball over from close range.
However, they did score a consolation goal in the 87th minute when Pierre Eitenne capitalised on an error but Dereham deservedly took the points.
Dereham: Pride, Garner (Murphy 49), Taylor, Linford, Eastoe-Smith, Ebbage (Anema 43), Logan, Hinton, Jarvis, Forshaw (Crisp 74), Beaumont. Sub not used: Dodden.
Potters Bar: Laurencin, Baird, Lomas, O'Leary, Brown, Janloinis, Lobjoit (Sato 78), Adcock, Murray (Etienne 78), Casey, Keira (Benavides-Martinez 85). Sub not used: Mfinda.
Referee: M Chalkley