Dereham Town 3 Phoenix Sports 4: Pattison winner breaks Magpies’ hearts
- Credit: Ian Burt
Dereham lost out by the odd goal in seven in a match that contained a combination of excellent goals and errors.
The Magpies got their noses in front when visiting defender Jack Berry failed to clear, enabling Joe Gatting to tap home his 21st goal of the season.
On half time Phoenix found an equaliser when Michael Power turned and netted from close range after receiving Fairweather-Johnson's header at the far post.
The Kent side then took the lead at the start of the second period when Theo Fairweather-Johnson beat home keeper Glover to Golding's cross from the right to head home in the 47th minute.
The visitors continued to press and increased their lead when Fairweather-Johnson again beat keeper Glover to Ashley Probets' corner from the right to head home his second and Phoenix's third goal with 61 minutes gone.
You may also want to watch:
Dereham soon reduced the deficit when Rhys Logan was upended by defender Probets in the box; visiting keeper Steve Phillips made an excellent save from Harley Black's spot kick but the Magpies midfielder reacted first to net the rebound in the 65th minute. As the game continued to ebb and flow Dereham produced a fine move down the right with keeper Phillips making a brilliant save to keep out Gatting's superb 20 yard volley.
The home side then found the equaliser with an exceptional goal as Rhys Logan's 25-yard left-foot volley flew in off the post in the 75th minute.
- 1 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 2 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 3 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 4 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 5 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 6 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 7 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 8 Man was found dead after lockdown hit business, inquest told
- 9 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 10 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
The game could have gone either way and Phoenix regained the lead when Christie Pattison picked the ball up just outside the box and beat Glover with a superb low right foot drive in the 85th minute. In added time visiting keeper Phillips saved Gatting's header at the far post and Phoenix took the points.
Dereham: J Glover, D Morphew, O Humphrey, R Linford, J Eastoe-Smith, D Frary, R Logan, H Black, J Gatting, R Crisp, D Beaumont.
Subs: J Grant, W Sainsbury-Logan, A Smith.
Phoenix Sports: S Phillips, R Andrews, A Probets, R Bedford, J Berry, J Baker, Z Byron, D Golding, M Power, T Fairweather-Johnson, C Paittisson.
Subs: J Fitchett, J J Goncalves Da Cruz, K Anshan, D Kemp.
Ref: Mr J Block