Dereham Town 3 Great Wakering Rovers 0: Magpies back to winning ways
Dereham got back to winning ways with an excellent team performance at Aldiss Park, writes Rene Kendal.
They had two early efforts with Joe Gating's shot being parried by keeper Charlie Huntley into the path of Rhys Logan, whose low drive was blocked. However, they did not have to wait too long to find the net with Gatting rising well to head home Harley Black's corner in the 53rd minute.
Great Wakering immediately created a chance with home keeper Will Viner being forced to save Kyle Asante's powerful right foot drive.
Twice Dereham's Logan had opportunities to score; having gained possession following a defender slipping over, the wide man progressed before having his low shot saved by Huntley. Minutes later he beat the visiting offside trap but had his low drive deflected wide as he looked set to score.
As the pressure continued Gatting and Beaumont had close range efforts blocked. The Magpies were having the majority of the play but could not add to their tally before the break.
You may also want to watch:
Great Wakering came into the game more after the re-start but fell further behind in the 58th minute. Jake Anema found space down the left and delivered a perfect cross that invited the excellent David Hinton to move swiftly into the box and head home.
The Essex side needed a goal to get back in the game and were denied this by home keeper Viner who dived full length to turn Aaron Huntley's diagonal drive to safety.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 3 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 4 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 5 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 6 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 7 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 8 Fly-tippers dumped dead relative's rubbish – just half a mile from recycling centre
- 9 Norfolk couple's hopes of £1m 'doorstop' sculpture dashed
- 10 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls
Dereham made the game safe in the 84th minute. After more fine play from Hinton, Danny Beaumont saw his curler blocked on the line but the ball fell to Gatting who turned and fired home from 12 yards.