Dereham Town 2 Romford 2: Magpies pegged back at home
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017
The points were shared in a game of two halves at Aldiss Park.
Dereham did most of the early pressing but it was Romford who went in front.
Carlos Djalo found John Nzibga with a square pass and he drilled the ball home from 20 yards in the 12th minute.
The goal sparked life into the Essex side and home keeper Elliot Pride was forced to save from Nzinga as he found space again. Dereham were finding it frustratingly hard to create chances with wayward passing a problem.
Romford threatened again with Djalo volleying inches over the top following Garrett Kelly's centre in the 30th minute.
You may also want to watch:
The home side won a corner on the right with Jamie Forshaw's close range effort being deflected for another; this time visiting keeper Steven Reynolds was forced to punch clear Danny Beaumont's dangerous delivery.
Floris Burgers replaced Robbie Linford at the break and the Magpies were soon back on level terms. Beaumont combined with Rhys Logan on the right who cut inside and hit a fierce left footer that the keeper could only parry and the alert Forshaw headed home from close range in the 48th minute.
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week
- 3 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
- 4 Man seriously injured after crash
- 5 Concern elderly people 'being ignored' as town has no vaccination centre
- 6 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 7 'They don't care': Retired couple slam council over 'dangerous' tree
- 8 'I am heartbroken' - Woman's two cats killed by 'reckless' drivers
- 9 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 10 Man admits causing death of popular sportsman by dangerous driving
The Magpies were playing with a higher tempo and Logan produced a fine solo run before setting up Forshaw whose 20-yard drive was saved by Reynolds.
Dereham brought on Toby Hilliard and he immediately chased down a long ball that keeper Reynolds kicked against the striker enabling him to net with his first kick to give the Magpies the lead in the 66th minute.
The game changed again when home keeper Pride picked up a back pass with a free kick being awarded just inside the box.
The ball was played short to Hugo Atkinson who fired home via a slight deflection in the 73rd minute.
Play remained open with chances at both ends. Hilliard fired over when well placed in the dying minutes before Logan struck the bar as Dereham strived for the winner but in the end it was honours even.
Dereham: Pride, Taylor, Anema, Hinton, Eastoe-Smith, Linford (Burgers 45), Logan, Murphy, Jarvis, Forshaw, Beaumont. Subs: Dodden, Ebbage, Crisp.
Romford: Reynolds, Ayddeji, Mubmba, Dossington, Finneran, Ishmail, Kelly, Nzinga, Djalo, Giwa, Hammond (Atkinson 66). Subs: Atkinson, Taylor, Reynolds.
Referee: Mr J Turner