Dereham Town 2 Holbeach United 1 – Heads up as Anema sends Dereham through in cup clash
Two headed goals from defender Jake Anema helped Dereham progress to the next round of the FA Cup and bag the £3,000 prize money.
There were chances for both sides early on in the first qualifying round clash: in the opening minutes home keeper Will Viner had to be alert to save from Tommy Treacher following Andrew Tidshell's corner before claiming Tidshell's poorly struck 25-yard free-kick.
Dereham's Ryan Crisp was then fouled outside the box, but Dawid Radomski's free-kick flew inches over the top. As the Magpies began to pass the ball better, a three-man move culminated in Rhys Logan's curler from the left narrowly missing the target. The hosts pressed again, with talented youngster Harley Black controlling Anema's ball inside and forcing visiting keeper Travis Portas to save his low drive. Anema opened the scoring on 33 minutes, heading home a cross by Radomski and as the pressure continued Black again forced Portas into action with Anema this time heading the resultant corner over the bar. It was all square two minutes after the break when Jake Clitheroe headed home Treacher's left flank cross from close range.
Dereham came close, but Anema failed to control Logan's centre after making a fine run into the box.
Crisp then had an effort deflected for a corner as they pressed again. However, Spencer Tinkler guided Treacher's ball from the right over the top from 18 yards as the United Counties League side had sight of goal. Holbeach introduced Jordan Thomas and he immediately forced Viner to save his low drive.
You may also want to watch:
The game could still have gone either way and Dereham's Radomski saw his close-range effort excellently saved by Portas. With eight minutes remaining, Anema sealed the win when he again jumped highest to head in a free-kick, from Tom Walters.
Dereham: Viner, Anema, Morphew, Linford, Sommerfield, Eastoe-Smith, Logan, Walters, Crisp, Radmoski, Black (Frary 70). Subs not used: Clayton, Cook, Costandachi, Wright.
- 1 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 2 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 3 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 4 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 5 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 6 Swathes of new homes for village move step closer with new planning bid
- 7 Work started on four new homes without permission
- 8 Holt Hall for sale after years of uncertainty
- 9 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 10 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
Holbeach United: Portas, Walton, Warfield, Tinkler, Jackson, Allen, Eyelett, Tidshell, Treacher, Clitheroe, Wright (Thomas 70). Subs not used: Dongo, Dougill, Cartwright, Cundy, Roberts.
Ref: Mr C Walchester