Dereham Town 1 Yaxley 0 – Magpies squeeze into next round of FA Cup by edging replay
Dereham progressed to the first qualifying round of the FA Cup with Dawid Radomski's second-half strike settling a close game, writes Rene Kendal.
Yaxley had the first opportunity of the preliminary round replay in the 10th minute when Phil Stebbing had his close-range effort saved by home keeper Will Viner.
As both defences remained on top, Michael Sommerfield and the visitors' Stuart Wall, formerly of King's Lynn Town and Wisbech, failed to make the most of decent sighters. Radomski fired wide just before the interval as he tried to force a breakthrough.
A Dan Cotton header after the restart raised Yaxley's hopes of taking the lead. Ross Watson, another former Linnet, thought he had achieved the feat but was denied by Viner.
Home manager Matt Henman brought on Joe Gatting for his debut and he showed plenty of classy touches. And it was he who helped break the deadlock by playing Radomski down the left. The Pole lifted the ball over advancing keeper Aaron Butcher from 20 yards and into the net with 72 minutes on the clock to put the Magpies ahead.
You may also want to watch:
Tom Walters and then Radomski went close to making it two but it didn't matter as Yaxley, try as they might, failed to force extra-time with Charley Sanders receiving his marching orders late on for an elbow.
Dereham – who drew 4-4 at Yaxley on Saturday – pocketed £1,925 for progressing and will host Holbeach United in the next stage of the competition on Saturday, September 3.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 3 Hospital confirms two patients have died from Covid
- 4 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 5 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 6 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 7 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 8 More than 70 speeding drivers snared in police day of action
- 9 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 10 Person dies after being hit by train