Dereham Town 1 Soham Town 0 – Magpies on cloud nine as run goes on
- Credit: Archant Norfolk
Dereham stretched their unbeaten run to nine games with Payton Swatman's deflected second half goal enough to secure the points at Aldiss Park.
In the opening minutes former Norwich City winger Luke Chadwick's free-kick from the right was easily claimed by home keeper Will Viner before Dereham skipper Sam Borrer had a well struck volley charged down at the opposite end.
Soham missed a great chance with 15 minutes on the clock when the unmarked Ryan Sharman side-footed Ross Paterson's square pass over the bar from point blank range.
Dereham also came close as Borrer had a close range effort blocked on the line by visiting defender Jordan Gent following Swatman's centre, with Frazer Blake-Tracy firing the loose ball wide from 20 yards.
Gent was soon in action again in the 24th minute as Soham won a free-kick in an advanced position, steering Chadwick's ball wide.
You may also want to watch:
There continued to be little between the two sides as Dereham's Borrer picked out Rhys Logan on the right but the winger's centre just eluded Ryan Crisp.
Viner was forced into an excellent save to deny Hall after a good build-up involving Chadwick and Sawyer as the half finished goalless.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 3 Hospital confirms two patients have died from Covid
- 4 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 5 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 6 More than 70 speeding drivers snared in police day of action
- 7 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 8 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 9 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 10 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk
Dereham started stronger after the break. Crisp had an effort saved at the expense of a corner before Soham keeper Lawton claimed Luke Tuttle's curler.
The Magpies' pressure paid dividends in the 56th minute as Swatman's deflected 30-yard drive left keeper Lawton flat-footed and looped into the net.
The Magpies nearly increased their lead five minutes later with Tuttle's 25-yard free-kick missing the target by inches. Soham finally managed to break forward with Pat Bexfield's left footer being deflected behind for a corner, from which Hall shot wide.
Soham continued to search for the equaliser but Dereham remained solid and held on for another well deserved victory.
Dereham: Viner, Swatman, Blake- Tracy, Morphew, Frary, Howard, Logan, Smith (Anema 87), Tuttle (Winter 88), Borrer, Crisp (Cooper 63). Subs not used: Linford, Mason.
Soham Town Rangers: Lawton, Townshend, Bexfield, Lawton, Gent, Sharman, Hall (Lopes 75), Chadwick, Darling (Chizari 61), Paterson, Sawer. Subs not used: Nightingale, Theobald.
Referee: C Pearse