Dereham Town 1 Phoenix Sports 2 – Winning streak brought to an end as hosts let lead slip
- Credit: Archant
Dereham's five-match winning streak was brought to an end on a blustery afternoon at Aldiss Park.
In difficult playing conditions both sides struggled to create scoring opportunities in the early stages. Phoenix's Christie Pattison and Dereham's Rhys Logan both delivered dangerous low crosses that sped across the respective goalmouths to safety.
It wasn't until the 29th minute that Sam Borrer drove a 25-yard shot into visiting keeper Steve Phillips' arms after linking passes with Tom Walters.
Dereham continued to press down the right and were rewarded in the 37th minute. Walters played a fine ball out to Logan who passed back to Vadin Costandachi and the full-back found Ryan Crisp in the box; the striker turned his man and hit a low cross-shot that defender Steve Springett could only divert into his own net.
Phoenix missed a great chance after the break to draw level when Sam Long side-footed off target when well placed after receiving Pattison's square pass. Dereham replied with Crisp curling a delightful ball from the left into Luke Tuttle's path but his strike partner could not get a shot in.
Karn Muller-Neave volleyed over the top for the Kent side as Matt Howard's defensive header fell into his path. They then restored parity in the 61st minute through Jason Goodchild who netted from close range following Long's cross.
The visitors threatened again with Pattison dragging a shot wide after exchanging passes with Goodchild outside the box. However, the striker did better in the 77th minute when he was allowed space to fire home a low drive across keeper Will Viner and into the net to put Phoenix in front.
- 1 Case of Omicron Covid variant confirmed in north Norfolk
- 2 Norfolk college named best secondary school in the UK
- 3 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 4 ‘This was our worst nightmare’: Locals shock after man dies in crash
- 5 Shocking footage appears to show £100m Marham jet crashing off carrier
- 6 Man charged with drink driving after crash at police station
- 7 Long-awaited plans for A47 roundabout revamps revealed
- 8 Norwich man sentenced to life imprisonment after murder conviction
- 9 Woman with scissors said she wanted to murder someone at supermarket
- 10 Transport plans approved despite 'lack of' climate change measures
In added time Logan volleyed over the bar as Phoenix hung on to take the points. Dereham are back in action today as they travel to mid-table side Soham Town Rangers.
Dereham: W Viner, V Costan-dachi, F Blake-Tracy, T Walters, M Howard, D Frary, R Logan, A Smith, R Crisp, L Tuttle, S Borrer. Subs: J Anema, L Butcher, M Cook, R Linford, D Morphew.
Phoenix Sports: S Philips, R Andrews, S Springett, R Bedford, J Denny, C Hill, S Long, J Goodchild, C Pattison, G Fakinos, K Miller-Neave. Subs: A Gordon, A Stone, J Matthews, B Bennett, M Aziaya.
Referee: J Turner