Dereham Town 0 Ware 0 – Magpies fail to find elusive winning goal in home frustration
- Credit: IAN BURT
Play-off chasing Dereham had to settle for a point at Aldiss Park.
The Magpies pressed from the start and after winning a fruitless corner, Aaron Kay hit a 20-yarder inches over the top following good play between Michael Clunan and Liam Wales in the fourth minute.
After the visitors had wasted two corners Kay had another long-range effort saved by Ware keeper Thomas Coulton. As the home pressure continued Ross Bailey fired over the bar after Lewis Sturman and Matt Howard had exchanged passes.
In the 18th minute Dereham keeper Andy Wilton had to race from his area to clear from Khale Da Costa as he chased a long ball from Leon Fisher. After an even spell of play, Clunan forced visiting keeper Coulton into a fine full-length save from his 20-yard drive in the 32nd minute.
Dereham then came close again with Dan Morphew glancing an Ollie Willis ball from the right inches wide of the far post.
You may also want to watch:
Minutes later Liam Wales did well to find Craig Bussens who was denied from close range by keeper Coulton. In the 38th minute in-form Ware keeper Coulton once again produced a vital close-range save to turn aside Clunan's effort from point-blank range.
On half-time the Magpies looked to have a good penalty shout turned down as Bussens was bundled over.
- 1 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 2 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 3 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 4 Land wanted by village sold to mystery buyer for £50,000 more
- 5 Horse dies two months after being set on fire
- 6 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 7 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 8 Cafe owner 'overwhelmed' by support for contested outdoor terrace
- 9 'It was like a river' - Flood damage forces couple to move out
- 10 Petrol station staff to receive awards for attempting to save baby's life
After the restart Dereham's two new boys combined with Ross Bailey heading Liam Wales' deep cross from the left over the bar.
The home side were kept at bay again by keeper Coulton in the 56th minute as he leapt to his left to palm away Bussens' accurate downward header.
Home keeper Wilton was forced into his first save in the 61st minute to keep out Leon Fisher's low drive. Ware striker Fisher then missed a great chance to open the scoring as he sliced wide from close range.
In the 79th minute Aaron Kay dragged a shot just wide before Ryan Hawkins followed suit minutes later. With minutes remaining the lunging Matt Hockley could not finish Kay's corner from the left as it travelled across the six-yard line. Dereham continued to press but could not find the elusive winning goal.
Dereham: A Wilton, O Willis, H Barker, L Sturman (M Hockley 67), M Howard, D Morphew, A Kay, M Clunan (F Blake-Tracy 75), C Bussens, R Bailey, L Wales (R Hawkins 60). Unused: J Eastoe-Smith.
Referee: Mr A Sannerude.