Dereham Town 0 Norwich City XI 4 – Canaries see off part-timers in Norfolk Invitation Cup final
- Credit: Phil Cook/Focus Images Limited
A young Norwich side comfortably got their hands on some summer silverware following an entertaining game in Bowthorpe, writes Rene Kendal.
The Canaries found the net four times at the Football Development Centre (FDC) to become the first Norfolk Invitation Cup winners in 22 years. The competition was reintroduced at the end of last season as a further incentive to win the Norfolk Senior Cup – which Dereham Town did by beating Norwich United at Carrow Road.
Chances came and went for both sides before Uche Ikepeazu cooly drilled home to give Norwich a 38th-minute lead. They were denied a second by a fine save from Will Viner who dived smartly to his right to turn aside Benny Ashley-Seal's fierce drive.
The Canaries increased their lead in the 56th minute when Louis McIntosh exchanged passes with Jamie Mellon before beating Viner with a low diagonal drive.
Both sides made several changes and Dereham nearly pulled a goal back with 66 minutes on the clock. Dawid Radomski – back with Dereham having signed for them last summer before returning to his native Poland without playing a competitive game for the Magpies – robbed Nathaniel Oseni deep inside the City box but his close-range effort was well saved by Ben Killip.
You may also want to watch:
City then missed a good chance to make it three with Glen Middleton steering Diallang Jaiyesimi's ball well over the top. However, they clinched victory in the 79th minute when Ashley-Seal received Middleton's pass on the half turn and fired home from point-blank range. The City youngsters added a fourth with a fine solo effort from Jaiyesimi in the 85th minute.
With minutes remaining, Radomski curled a free-kick from the edge of the area around the wall but his effort went straight into Killip's hands.
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Man seriously injured after crash
- 3 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
- 4 'They don't care': Retired couple slam council over 'dangerous' tree
- 5 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 6 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 7 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
- 8 Man admits causing death of popular sportsman by dangerous driving
- 9 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
- 10 Minke whale washes up on beach
Dereham: W Viner, V Constandanci, L Clayton, R Linford, D Morphew, D Radomski, R Logan, A Smith, R Crisp, L Tuttle, C Bussens. Subs: C Green, L Mason, W Sainsbury-Logan, J Wason.
Norwich: B Killip, J Lewis, J Mellon, R Grant, J Crowe, N Oseni, D Jaiyesimi, K Monlouis, U Ikepeazu, J Eaton-Collins, G Middleton. Subs: B Ashley- Seal, A Oxborough, L McIntosh, E Adams.
Ref: Mr P Burnham.