Dereham Town 0 Basildon United 3: Magpies well beaten by league leaders
- Credit: Ian Burt
Table-topping Basildon registered their seventh win on the trot at Dereham
Joe Gatting returned for the Magpies who included three teenagers in their starting line up. The striker fired wide in the opening minutes before Adam Hipperson's diagonal drive cleared the bar.
As Basildon settled midfielder Joseph Burgess struck the home bar and within minutes the visitors took the lead. Brian Moses received keeper Connor Wheatley's clearance and skipped past two men before lifting the ball past the advancing keeper Elliot Pride in the eighth minute.
In the 30th minute Basildon's Reece Price-Placid travelled into the home box before being thwarted by Dion Frary.
As the home side continued to press skipper David Hinton made a strong run through the centre and found Hipperson who fired over from 20 yards.
You may also want to watch:
In the 43rd minute home keeper Pride made a great save to deny Moses. As play switched ends Quantrell fed Hipperson who turned inside and struck a powerful drive that forced Wheatley into a superb save.
The Magpies won a free kick just outside the box and Wengrzik's curled effort saw Wheatley palm behind for a corner.
- 1 Revealed: Siblings' bodies were found after father's death
- 2 Body believed to be missing man found near Norfolk coast
- 3 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 4 Neighbours of murdered woman tell of terrifying scene in close
- 5 Sales rep who died at nature reserve named at inquest
- 6 No-frills Norwich pub offers top-notch food and every dish is under £8
- 7 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 8 Police name murder victim, who died of 'severe head injury'
- 9 Firefighters dash to tackle blaze at coastal holiday resort
- 10 Widow threatened with debt collectors after funeral director’s bill blunder
In the 52nd minute Basildon won a free kick 22 yards out and defender Elijay Worrell stepped up and curled a superb effort into the net to increase the Essex side's lead.
Dereham then had a clear penalty appeal turned down for handball before Hipperson's firm drive was turned over the top. The visitors soon added to their tally when Brian Moses headed home Conor Mead's deep free kick at the far post in the 57th minute.
Dereham: Pride, Murphy (Edge 76), McLeish, Hinton, Frary, Manning, Wengrzik, Quantrell (Jarvis 62), Gatting, Hipperson, Beaumont (Smith 62). Subs not used: Ebbage, Linford.
Basildon: Wheatley, Mead, Worrell, Burgess, Turpin, Phillips, Arlington-Pile (Asamoah 69), Barton, Moses (Jackson 76), Spencer, Price-Placid.
Referee: Mr M Chalkley