Dereham racer Will Goff overcomes Porsche Carrera Cup setback to claim first victory
- Credit: Porsche Carrera Cup Media Service
Will Goff had a mixed start to his Porsche Carrera Cup campaign, but left the opening event with a victory in the second race at Brands Hatch, after throwing away the lead in the first event, and a narrow championship lead.
The Dereham racer set the pace in qualifying in the Pro-Am2 class on the Kent circuit, the venue for the opening round, but knows he needs to be on his toes as the competition is fierce.
'It is close this year, which is really good,' he said. 'It takes a while for the tyres to come in and I was pleased to stay on the back of Paul Rees during the session.'
In the opening race Goff got past early category leader Steven Liquorish, but a pair of spins at Graham Hill Bend dropped him to the tail of the field to leave him to trail in last.
Goff started race two from ninth on the grid and led his class all the way to the chequered flag.
You may also want to watch:
It looks like double Renault Clio champion Josh Files will spend most of this season on the sidelines as he has been unable to raise a budget to progress this year.
'Unfortunately I will not be racing in the UK at all due to budget constraints,' tweeted the Poringland racer.
- 1 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 2 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 3 Pretty thatched cafe business on Broads for sale for £75,000
- 4 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 5 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 6 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 7 Child groomer caught by seven paedophile hunter groups
- 8 Anger as woodland used as 'playground and dustbin'
- 9 Giant Victorian underground reservoir marks supplying city for 150 years
- 10 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
'Can I take this opportunity however to thank you all for supporting me to my double championship winning year,' he continued.
Wisbech's Joe McMillan is joining the Volkswagen Racing Cup this season with a new Scirocco, built by his family Cobra Engineering team, having raced a Seat Leon Cupra in the VAG Trophy for the last two seasons.