Dereham off mark at last

Cambridge City 1, Dereham Ladies 2: Dereham finally recorded their first win of the season, at the 12th time of asking, as they won at fellow strugglers Cambridge City in the Women's Conference East.

The visitors suffered a poor start as Sophie Nehammer put City in front in the fourth minute.

But Dereham, who have conceded 54 goals in 12 games following promotion last season, refused to buckle and were on level terms two minutes later as Hannah Palmer scored from a penalty corner.

Becky Loveday then scored the winner on 34 minutes, leaving Dereham four points behind City in the table.

• Harleston Magpies Ladies 3, Old Loughtonians 0

Magpies moved above Old Loughtonians in the table with a comfortable victory.

The hosts started well and their teamwork was rewarded on 15 minutes when Frances Sumner intercepted outside the circle and fed Emma Lee-Smith, who scored from a narrow angle.

Most Read

Jess Howland was quick to react to a mistake in the Old Loughts' defence to put Magpies 2-0 up on 26 minutes.

Charlotte Lee-Smith made some important saves as Magpies went into the break with their lead intact.

Magpies continued to look strong in the second half and Verity Blyth added the third on 45 minutes after good play from Emma Wilford and Lee-Smith.

Despite going down to 10 players on two occasions in the second half, Magpies retained their composure to keep a clean sheet, moving them up to sixth in the table.

• Harleston Magpies Men 3, Indian Gymkhana 2

Magpies shrugged off a second half fightback from Gymkhana to claim a crucial three points in Men's Conference East.

The opening exchanges were good with both sides looking to attack and chances at both ends of the pitch.

Magpies got the first breakthrough as Gareth Furlong scored from a penalty corner.

Magpies continued to pressurise the visitors and were unlucky not to score a second when Andy Hipwell hit the post from a tight angle.

But on 24 minutes the pressure paid off as Jamie Legg diverted the ball under the Gymkhana keeper.

Magpies were now passing the ball around smoothly and were firmly in control as they went into the break with a two-goal advantage.

In the second half, Gymkhana got straight back into the game as Amrit Singh stroked the ball past Richard Harms in the Magpies goal.

Harleston were now on the back foot as Gymkhana sensed a comeback and both sides lost a player to the sin bin as the battle intensified. Gymkhana were handed a perfect chance to draw level when they were awarded a penalty stroke, but Richard Harms made an excellent save to preserve Magpies' lead.

The relief was short-lived however, as a mix-up between a defender and Harms led to Pravinder Hanspal stealing in on 52 minutes making the score 2-2.

The winning goal arrived on 59 minutes as Simon and Andy Hipwell combined well before playing in Ben Wright for a running reverse stick shot which blasted the ball low past the helpless keeper.

There was still much more hard work to come as Harleston were reduced to 10 men for 10 minutes as the same player received a second yellow card.

Magpies stood firm, pulling together brilliantly to keep Gymkhana at arm's length with Mark Wheelhouse, Richard Harms, Tristan Baynes and Stuart Leate all in outstanding form.