Dereham let it slip after bright start

EAST MEN'S LEAGUE: Dereham surrendered top spot in Premier B as they let a two-goal lead slip to draw 2-2 at home to Cambridge University II.

The hosts started the game well, and pressed the Cambridge defence. They moved the ball across the pitch with ease, and set up a number of attacks, but they were unable to convert the chances they were creating.

They eventually found the back of the net following a drag flicked short corner from top scorer Sam Plater, who gave the keeper no chance as he placed his shot high into the top left hand corner.

One became two shortly afterwards, when Andy Lawrence hit a short corner low to the keeper's right, and although the keeper made a good save, Will Edwards was on hand to slot home the rebound. Cambridge had a few attacks, but were unable to break down the Dereham defence.

The second half started with an error in the Dereham defence which immediately handed possession to the students, who were able to score 10 seconds after the half started. This spurred Dereham forward, and once again they had opportunities to regain their advantage, but were unable to find the final touch. Dereham lost Plater halfway through the half to a hamstring injury, and Cambridge scored an equaliser with 15 minutes to go, as a long ball into the D was deflected into the net.

Dereham had chances to score the winner, but were unable to find the back of the net.

Norwich City were unable to build on the previous weekend's win over Dereham as they lost 4-2 at Ramgarhia.

Most Read

City conceded a string of short corners and although Ramgarhia used only four players in their short corner routine, they were able to score from two of them in the first half.

The hosts added a third before half-time when their forward received a long ball and beat two defenders before scoring.

City improved after the break and pulled one back when Bob Hammond netted from a short corner. But any hopes of a comeback were dashed as Ramgarhia immediately converted another short corner with ease. Dave Skinner reduced the arrears for City late on.

In Division 2N, Norwich City II moved up to second with a 3-1 victory against Spalding.

City took the lead when Tom Hindle's shot deflected off a defender's foot and the referee played a good advantage, as the ball rolled into the net.

Matt Brine fired home from the top of the D to double the advantage and the same player made it 3-0 before half-time. Spalding reduced the deficit five minutes from time but City comfortably held on to claim the points.

Norwich Dragons stormed to an 8-0 success against lowly Bourne.

Gould opened the scoring with a sweetly-struck shot and Wagstaff converted a penalty corner to double the lead. Snelling also dispatched a penalty corner and Gould scored twice more to complete his hat-trick.

Bell then rounded off a slick passing move with the sixth before half-time.

Snelling coolly converted a penalty flick in the second half and Simmonds slotted into an empty net to complete the rout.

Norwich City III picked up their second win of the season as they beat Ipswich & East Suffolk II 5-3 in Division 4N.

Jonny Jones scored twice to put City in charge and Gabriele Marchant added a third in the first half.

Nathan Taylor made it 4-0 after the break before Ipswich threatened a comeback with two quick goals.

Darren Hart set Jones up to complete his treble and although Ipswich scored again before the close, City had done enough to secure victory.

Norwich Dragons II fell to a 2-1 defeat at Holt Harlequins. Andrew Kelsall equalised for Dragons after Holt had taken the lead, but the hosts scored the winner before half-time. Simon Nisbet hit a post for Dragons in the second half but they were unable to force an equaliser.

In Division 6NE, Norwich Dragons III became the latest side to lose to Harleston Magpies VII as they succumbed to a 5-0 defeat.

Glen Richardson and man-of-the-match Mark Flatman were impressive for Dragons, while Phil Yorke-Smith made an impact after coming on as a substitute.