Dereham high jumper just misses out on bronze at Commonwealth Games
- Credit: PA
Chris Baker was left wondering what might have been after narrowly missing out on a high jump medal at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.
The Dereham athlete's first attempt failure at 2.25 metres was to prove decisive as he lost out on bronze to Canada's Michael Mason on count-back at Hampden Park.
The British number two had started the competition well and had he cleared the height at the first time of asking, he would have taken third, courtesy of Mason's careless failure at 2.16m.
And to make matters worse the 23-year old also missed out on a medal in similar circumstances, six years ago at the Commonwealth Youth Games in Pune.
'I had three attempts at what would have been an outdoor personal best and I wasn't far off,' he said.
You may also want to watch:
'It's tough to be that close to a medal and there'll certainly be some regrets because it could have very easily been an amazing night for me.
'I'm only 23, I'm still learning and hopefully I'll learn from this but I'm very disappointed to be so close to the podium. Fourth really is the worst position to finish.'
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 3 Hospital confirms two patients have died from Covid
- 4 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 5 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 6 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 7 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 8 More than 70 speeding drivers snared in police day of action
- 9 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 10 Person dies after being hit by train
Commonwealth Games England (CGE) leads and manages the participation of Team England at the Commonwealth Games and Commonwealth Youth Games. We work with sports, sponsors and Sport England to support the development of athletes and their sports, and to achieve success at Games-time.