Dereham get back to winning ways
Dereham Town got back to winning ways with an impressive performance against lowly Ware at Aldiss Park.
In the sixth minute a 40-yard free- kick from Gary Starling struck the base of the Ware post before Luke Tuttle had a header ruled out for offside from Danny Beaumont's cross.
Harry Larner was lucky only to receive a yellow card for a poor challenge on Aaron Kay in the 13th minute as the visitors were struggling to match Dereham's early tempo.
The Magpies made their pressure pay in the 20th minute when Danny Beaumont picked up Kay's wayward shot and lifted it over keeper Rhys Madden before slotting home.
Shaun Bammant fired over the top from close range after a superb run by Nicky Howell. Howell then put Luke Tuttle through and the prolific striker skilfully lifted the ball over the advancing keeper to increase the lead in the 34th minute.
It should have been 3-0 minutes later as Howell side-footed wide when presented with an open goal. The home dominance continued with Adam Smith picking out Bammant who saw his chip land just over Madden's crossbar.
At the start of the second period Bammant missed a good chance before being upended in the box. Aaron Kay drilled home from the spot to give Dereham a commanding lead in the 50th minute.
- 1 Norfolk beach named among UK's most contaminated
- 2 Revealed: Buyer of Norwich Airport Industrial Estate - and what they paid
- 3 Man in 20s killed and another seriously injured in motorbike crash
- 4 New reservoir could secure region's water supply - but will cost over £1bn
- 5 Overnight works on stretch of A47 prompt 50-mile diversion for two weeks
- 6 Neighbours describe axe brawl in Norfolk village
- 7 Heatwave leaves dried-up pond like 'scene from sci-fi movie'
- 8 Fighter jet heard roaring over Norwich in night time training exercise
- 9 Man arrested following theft of £16,000 worth of cables
- 10 A-levels 2022: All the results from Norfolk and Waveney
Ware keeper Madden did well to keep out Beaumont's low drive as the home side threatened again. The visitors Anstead fired over the top when well placed following Ironton's centre from the right.
Madden made another good save to deny Olly Willis but Nicky Howell was on hand to net the rebound in the 63rd minute.
Dereham keeper Andy Wilton made two fine saves before Leigh Rose pulled a goal back for the visitors in the 68th minute.