Dereham captain’s top month earns Norfolk Cricket Alliance monthly award
- Credit: Newsmakers PR
Dereham captain Duncan Hewitt has won the latest Dipple & Conway Opticians Norfolk Cricket Alliance player of the month award.
After finishing runner-up for the May award the all-rounder went one better in June, securing his nomination with a string of fine performances, including four and five-wicket stints with the ball and a 72 not out with the bat.
With Hewitt leading the way, Dereham are vying for the Division One title as the season hit the halfway point.
At the beginning of the month he led his side to a 10-wicket whitewash over Norwich A, top-scoring with an unbeaten 72 and taking 4-36. He ended the month as he had begun with 5-40 in a 49-run win over title rivals Horsford A.
'I learnt from some great players,' Hewitt said, reflecting on more than 25 years with his club. 'My dad Adie, who is now the club groundsman, started taking me along when I was about eight and I worked my way up through the youth teams.'
You may also want to watch:
Now enjoying his second spell as captain, Duncan is an established opening batsman for Dereham's first team – and is well on course to beat his personal total of 746 runs from last season.
'When it comes to bowling though, I think I am a bit lucky,' he laughed. 'I seem to pick up wickets even when I am not bowling well – I think most of the team will tell you that.'
- 1 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 2 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 3 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 4 Norfolk receives overnight flood warnings
- 5 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 6 'It was like a river' - Flood damage forces couple to move out
- 7 Flood warnings along Norfolk coast, with Wells flood gate in place
- 8 Horse dies two months after being set on fire
- 9 New Tesco store to open in coastal town centre
- 10 Two Norfolk care homes among the best in region
Roof tiler Hewitt, who lives just 500 yards from the Dereham cricket ground, is also a Level Two coach.
The father-of-two's achievement was saluted by Dipple & Conway director James Conway, who presented him with a pair of Polarised designer sunglasses.
'Someone who can produce the goods with both bat and ball as consistently as Duncan has throughout the first half of the season thoroughly deserves this award,' said Conway.
'Poor weather made June a particularly challenging month in which to score well, but Duncan passed the test with flying colours.'
Hewitt also received a commemorative pennant from Alliance vice-chairman John Tythcott.
Runners-up for the June award were Hendro Puchert of Ashmanhaugh & Barton Wanderers, Bradenham's Will Dewing – who took hat-tricks on two successive Saturdays – and Carl Rogers of Great Witchingham A.
Dipple & Conway Opticians Norfolk Cricket Alliance June player of the month award
• Duncan Hewitt – Dereham, Division One: 4-36, 5-40; 72*
• Hendro Puchert – AB Wanderers, Division Two: 57, 87, 100*
• Will Dewing – Bradenham, Division Two, 7-26, 3-14 (two hat-tricks in successive weekends)
• Carl Rogers – Gt Witchingham A, Division Two: 123, 134*