Dereham back on track

Dereham Town got back to winning ways after their midweek draw with CRC, beating lowly Wivenhoe 4-0.

The result and three more points in the bag for their Ridgeons Premier title push was satisfying for Magpies' manager Matt Henman. 'Pleased with the result,' he said. 'Once we got the second goal we coasted really and could have won by more.'

At half-time it was 1-0 with Jay Eastoe-Smith heading home from a Gary Starling cross.

Three more were added in the second half through Danny Beaumont and a brace from Seamus Kelleher to wrap up a comfortable win.

Beaumont netted direct from a corner before Kelleher hit a 25-yard strike to make it 3-0 and added the final one from a close-range tap-in.

You may also want to watch:

'We expected to win and we did win,' said Henman. 'Good performance, professional performance. We could have won by more, it was very comfortable in the end.'

Leiston, who were also 4-0 winners – at home against Newmarket – still top the division, with five points more from two fewer games than second-placed Dereham. Netting for Leiston were L McGlone with a brace, S Boardleyy and M Brothers.

Most Read

Wisbech Town boss Steve Appleby condemned the worst performance of his time in charge after the Fenmen crumbled to only their second home defeat of the season – a 3-0 loss to Hadleigh United.

Three down at half-time, despite a slight improvement in the second half, Wisbech couldn't muster a comeback and ended up limping to one of their worst results of a topsy-turvy season.

Appleby said: 'I'm lost for for words really. It goes down as probably the worst performance while I've been here. I just thought we were terrible.

'I think the lads owe an apology to the supporters because it was really not good. You can make excuses about a hard pitch and a windy day but it's the same for them. They wanted it more and had more desire.

'A totally inept performance,' he summed up.

Kirkley & Pakefield clocked up an impressive 3-2 victory at CRC and moved level on points with their hosts in the process. The match featured five brilliant goals and some free-flowing passing football.

K&P were determined to put an end to their three-match losing streak in the league and avenge the defeat by CRC earlier in the season.

Toby Kerslake brilliantly struck home from the edge of the area for 1-0 to K&P before CRC levelled.

Scott Manning's thunderbolt, in a similar position to the Kerslake goal, flew into the net to make it 2-1 to K&P before CRC equalised again. But K&P's Alex Holmes saw the keeper off his line and superbly lobbed him from 25 yards to earn victory.

Great Yarmouth regained that winning feeling when they beat visiting FC Clacton 3-1.

The Bloaters were 2-0 up with barely five minutes played. Firstly, Jake Reed was bundled over in the box and Scott Woodcock netted the penalty.

Then Clacton keeper Rutherford had his clearance charged down by Reed and the ball deflected into the area, Luke Fell beat the backtracking defenders to the ball and slotted home. Clacton fought back with Ray Turner scoring.

But then Reed superbly set up Yarmouth's third goal. He took on two defenders and managed to get to the six-yard box where he passed for Fell to net.

Also 3-1 winners were third-placed Wroxham at home against Felixstowe & Walton. It was the lowly visitors who took the lead when a good ball in found Matt McKenzie unmarked at the far post for an easy header.

Ben Thompson was fouled just outside the area and Danny Self's sweet shot sailed into the top left-hand corner to level the scores.

In the second half a good clearance from Josh Carus found Ben Thompson through on goal and he struck a cool shot into a corner of the net.

Wroxham's Graham Challen found space on the right with a dangerous ball into the box and an attempted clearance resulted in an own goal.

There were no goals at Ely when Norwich United paid a visit.

The talking point after the game was the controversial refereeing decision which, in the 61st minute, led to the dismissal of United keeper Ben Nower.

The home side claimed the collision between Nower and an Ely player took place just inside the area, but the referee gave a free-kick outside the area and held a red card aloft for the injured Nower.

Andy Key took over the gloves, immediately saving the free-kick and looked assured and confident but had little work to do as the ten men of Norwich looked the more likely to break the deadlock.

Other results saw Walsham-le-Willows beat Brantham Athletic 4-1 on their travels and Stanway Rovers win 5-2 at Debenham LC, while Haverhill and visitors Histon were deadlocked at 1-1 in their game.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter