Dereham are made to feel searing heat

EAST MEN'S LEAGUE: Dereham wilted in the heat on Saturday as Chelmsford inflicted a second successive Premier A Division defeat on the Norfolk side with a 6-0 victory.

After failing to take advantage of a couple of short corners, Dereham conceded a penalty flick, but keeper Tom Vaughan saved low to his left. Chelmsford soon took the lead, however, and added a second short corner goal before the break.

Dereham started the second half strongly but could not find a way back into the game and Chelmsford, with the luxury of five players on the bench, took advantage of a tiring Dereham side to score four times in the final 15 minutes.

Norwich City are also without a point this season having lost 3-0 at Cambridge City on Saturday.

After a battling display from the visitors in the first half kept the scoreline blank, Cambridge took the lead early in the second period.

You may also want to watch:

Norwich began to lose their discipline in the searing heat and went down to 10 men before conceding a second goal. The visitors lost another player to the sin bin and although they held on until they were back up to full strength, Cambridge killed the game with a third goal.

In Division 2N, Norwich City II lost 3-2 at home to Ely.

Most Read

A sloppy spell at the start of the second half cost City dearly as they conceded twice and although Matt Brine and Richard Silvester dragged them level, Ely scored from a last minute short corner to take the points.

Norwich Dragons lost 2-1 at newly-promoted Sudbury.

Alex Browne hit the post for Dragons, who were unable to take advantage after Sudbury were reduced to 10 men when Richard Moulson was hauled back by a defender.

Sudbury went ahead and Dragons' Rupert Snelling had a goal disallowed for being outside the circle. Browne slotted home the equaliser in the second half, but Sudbury then scored what proved to be the winner from a short corner.

Norwich City III let a 3-1 lead slip to lose 4-3 against Dereham III in Division 3NE.

City went ahead through Freddy Hooper before Dereham equalised with a solo effort. Guy Marchant restored City's lead before the break and the same player added his side's third following a short corner.

Both teams had a player yellow carded, but it proved more unsettling for City as Dereham scored twice to bring the game level. As the frustration built up for City, Dereham grabbed the winner and Marchant received a yellow card.

Norwich Dragons II marked their first match at the club's new home with a 7-4 win against Ipswich & East Suffolk II in Division 4NE.

Goalscorers for Dragons were Jon Goodson, Ricky Powley (2), Robbie Whiting (2), Ed Smith and Phil York-Smith.

Norwich City IV won 5-2 at Ipswich IV with goals from Tim Armstrong (2), Sam Matthews, Luke De Pear Brown and Sam Sharples.

David Broadway was on target for Norwich City V but they lost 3-1 at home to Harleston Magpies VI.

In Division 6NE, Norwich Dragons III were 5-1 winners at Norfolk Nomads, with goals from Adrian Kemp (2), Mike Banham, Mark Flatman and Cley Hamilton.

Dereham progressed to the next round of the England Hockey Cup with a 3-0 win at home to Norwich City on Sunday. Richard Stainthorpe put Dereham in front before CJ Edwards rounded the keeper to add a second.

Andy Lawrence netted a third as he followed up his own reverse stick shot to score and Dereham comfortably held on to their lead.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter