Dereham and Wroxham set for crucial derby

Shock of the day in the Ridgeons Premier Division was runaway leaders Leiston being held to a 2-2 draw by lowly Wivenhoe.

But second-place Dereham gained three points from a comprehensive 4-1 win over visiting FC Clacton.

They were 1-0 down to a penalty but levelled just before half-time through Scott Roberts, who added another in the second half after Danny Beaumont had netted Dereham's second. Criag Bussens completed the scoring.

Dereham boss Matt Henman said: 'It was a bit of a scrappy game and we weren't at our best in the first half but we were better in the second half and it was a comfortable win and, most importantly, it was three points to consolidate second place.'

The Magpies have a crunch game tomorrow (Monday) when they visit local rivals Wroxham who are one place below them – as the result could help decide who gets second place at season's end.

You may also want to watch:

Henman said: 'I believe we should be very proud that we have put ourselves in a position to compete with a squad as experienced and lucrative as Wroxham have assembled. Having added two exceptional strikers to their ranks since the new year I'm sure everyone expects them to finish ahead of us but we are in good form and our young players will give everything, as they have all season.'

Wroxham manager David Batch said: 'It's a derby game so that's always interesting. We will be doing our best. Dereham were favourites to win the league for most of the season so they will be trying not to lose second place. The result will determine whether it's important for Dereham or us.'

Most Read

The Yachtsmen drew 1-1 at Newmarket on Friday which means their duel for second place with Dereham is no longer in their hands.

Despite scoring against Newmarket in 36 seconds through Ben Thompson, Wroxham were unable to add to the score in the first half although they had several chances to do so.

Newmarket were a different side in the second half and equalised. Wroxham had a penalty appeal controversially turned down late on.

Kirkley & Pakefield put in a fine performance to come from behind and beat Haverhill Rovers 2-1.

Haverhill scored and then their keeper made a superb penalty save before K&P's Kyle Baker beat two players on the by-line and, showing great strength, his cut-back found Ryan Crisp who lashed home.

Late on, Zak Clarke's sweeping diagonal ball found Alex Holmes and his touch found Ian Dawson who knocked the ball past a defender to smash the ball in off a post.

Yarmouth were also 2-1 winners – at Brantham Athletic, courtesy of two goals from Jake Reed.

Norwich United maintained sixth place with a comprehensive 4-0 home victory over a lacklustre Felixstowe.

They scored when Steve Shipley's right-wing corner was punched clear by Liam Jones but only as far as Nathan Clarke, who thumped home.

A pin-point Andy Key cross from the left was headed powerfully home by Claydon to make it 2-0.

Ross King headed the third, directing the ball back across goal and just inside the far post from substitute Lee Hunter's right-wing free-kick with ten minutes left.

Hunter cut in from the right and sent a shot just over the bar before Claydon rounded off the scoring, racing clear of the defence on to Key's ball over the top to fire home.

Wisbech hosted Debenham LC and notched up a 3-1 win with Andy Furnell, Scott Johnson and Matthew Lunn on the scoresheet.

Ely drew 1-1 with Walsham-le-Willows with Nick Impey netting.

Other Premier Division results saw Histon Reserves lose 3-1 to Hadleigh United, and Stanway Rovers were 4-1 victors over visiting Woodbridge.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter