Dereham Town 0 Norwich United 0: All square as Norfolk rivals fail to land a Boxing Day punch
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
Dereham Town shared the points with Norwich United in a disappointing Boxing Day derby game which could have gone either way.
The Magpies had gone into the fixture on a high after winning 4-1 at AFC Sudbury on Saturday but failed to hit the heights in front of their own fans at Aldiss Park.
After an even start Dereham nearly caught the visitors on the break, with Danny Beaumont linking with Jamie Forshaw who teed David Hinton up 20 yards out but the home skipper fired over.
The Magpies enjoyed a spell of pressure and Forshaw's half hit drive was easily saved by Andy Wilton before Benjamin Jones forced home keeper Elliot Pride to tip over.
As play switched ends visiting keeper Wilton made a fine save to deny Crisp. The home side had another chance in the 26th minute when Jake Anema's deep free-kick reached Beaumont but his shot on the turn drifted wide.
You may also want to watch:
The Magpies won a corner on the right in the 37th minute with Crisp's centre falling to Forshaw whose fierce close range volley was superbly blocked by visiting defender Sam Watts. Dereham then looked to have claims for a penalty when Crisp was upended but the referee deemed that the offence was just outside the box and Beaumont fired the resultant free-kick into the wall.
With the wind now in their favour Dereham nearly took the lead straight after the break when Beaumont's thunderous 30 yard drive cannoned off Wilton's bar and they came close again with Forshaw firing just off target.
- 1 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 2 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 3 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 4 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 5 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 6 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 7 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
- 8 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 9 Norwich Bus Station building closed due to Covid ping
- 10 'Do your bit to slow spread' - plea as Covid hospital admissions remain low
Robbie Linford found Logan with a great ball to the right and his centre reached Ashley Jarvis but the striker shot off target when well placed.
Jarvis then just failed to get on to Logan's low cross before Crisp drilled a low 20 yard effort into Wilton's arms. Jarvis steered the ball wide from close range as it ended goalless.
Dereham: E Pride, O Murphy, J Anema, R Linford, O Ebbage, M Castellan, R Logan, D Hinton, R Crisp (K Wengrizk 86), J Forshaw (L Mason 83), D Beaumont (A Jarvis 62). Att: 209
Norwich United: A Wilton, A Mackie, S Applegate, S Wones, A Eastaugh, S Watts, N Stewart (T Henery 70), H Pollock, B Jones, L Jackson (R Carroll 78), A Hipperson.