Dereham 3, Wivenhoe 0
Matt Henman was able to field a strong looking side as the Magpies increased their league points tally on the sodden Aldiss Park surface.
Dereham made the early running without creating any clear cut chances. A Luke Tuttle free kick failed to unsettle the visitor's defence before the home striker volleyed over the top from 20 yards in the 17th minute.
Wivenhoe had their first scoring opportunity in the 20th minute when Mitch Yeo was given plenty of space outside the home box allowing the striker to strike a low drive which forced Matt Powley into a fine save at full stretch. The inclement weather was making it difficult to move the ball quickly and both sides struggled to find openings.
Wivenhoe were reduced to ten men in the 33rd minute when Liam Dadds was dismissed for a reckless and unnecessary tackle on Shaun Bammant near the left touch line.
As Dereham continued to press Sam Borrer blasted a powerful 20 yarder just off target after Adam Gusterson had laid Craig Bussens cross into his path. Just before the break Bammant drilled a left foot shot over the Essex side's crossbar and it was all square at the break.
You may also want to watch:
The Magpies took the lead within three minutes of the restart. After a flowing four man move the ball reached Shaun Bammant who turned and hammered home from close range.
Dereham continued to press but after Matt Howard lost his footing Tom Cutts travelled deep into the home half before firing inches over Powley's cross bar. However the Magpies were soon back in the Essex side's half and increased their lead with a fine individual goal from Scott Roberts. The talented midfielder received the ball 30 yards out and weaved outside his man and then back inside before unleashing a stunning left foot drive that flew into the roof of Matthew Grove's net in the 61st minute. Dereham put the result beyond doubt with an equally impressive strike in the 83rd minute. Matt Howard played a long ball from the back towards Luke Tuttle on the Wivenhoe left. The prolific marksman progressed before thumping a powerful 30 yarder that beat Grove for pace as it whistled past him and into the bottom left hand corner of net.
- 1 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 3 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 4 'Glagoon' returns to Norfolk beach and locals are loving it
- 5 Appeal to identify man, around 75, who died in medical episode
- 6 Norwich mum and daughter duo shed 12st
- 7 ATM containing thousands of pounds stolen from petrol station
- 8 Family pays tribute to man killed after collision with double-decker bus
- 9 Gilmour advised to quit City for Rangers loan return
- 10 Former factory site to become a new church
The Magpies defended well when Wivenhoe ventured forward and took the points with three fine strikes.