Derby test for Norwich City defensive duo
Paddy DavittNorwich City defensive pair Jens Berthel Askou and Michael Spillane step up their bid to play a full part in the club's League One promotion push in today's reserve derby against Ipswich at Carrow Road (2pm).Paddy Davitt
Norwich City defensive pair Jens Berthel Askou and Michael Spillane step up their bid to play a full part in the club's League One promotion push in today's reserve derby against Ipswich at Carrow Road (2pm).
The duo played a half each in last week's Totesport.com Combination East Division defeat at Wycombe and coach Ian Crook says the pair now need as many minutes as possible.
Danish centre-back Askou has been sidelined with a broken metatarsal suffered against Yeovil in December while Spillane (hamstring) last featured for the senior side against Bristol Rovers three months ago.
'We're looking to get them more match fitness and from there to get them back into the frame for the first team,' said Crook.
You may also want to watch:
'They'll get as much game time as possible but how much is the gaffer's shout as to whether he feels they've done enough after 60 or 70 minutes, or if he wants them to do the full 90. There are no set targets at the moment.'
Matty Gill and Paul McVeigh provide a senior core to City's second string bidding to put one over their cross-border rivals.
- 1 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 2 Tributes to 'Winkle' - the legendary landlord who broke the mould
- 3 Village care home confirms coronavirus outbreak
- 4 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 5 Town clerk sacked following months of controversy
- 6 Mansion for sale for £2.5million with helicopter pad
- 7 New drive-thru McDonald's to create 65 jobs
- 8 Flood alerts across Norfolk ahead of expected rain
- 9 Police concerned for welfare of missing 14-year-old girl
- 10 'My heart was racing' - Horse rider's shocking encounter with speeding van
'It's always nice to win games, but as we've said all along, it's more important to benefit from the game,' said Crook. 'Whatever level it is, it's still Norwich versus Ipswich. It won't perhaps have the same intensity as a first team game because there won't be that atmosphere inside the ground but it's still a derby. '
Only the City Stand will be open for today's game. Admittance is free to season ticket holders and children aged 16 and under. Tickets cost �4 for adults and �1 for over 60s.
Norwich City Reserves: Rudd, Spillane, Francomb, D Stephens, Askou, Gill, Adeyemi, Lathrope, McVeigh, D Kelly, Dawkin. Subs: Gordon, Matthews, Clarke, Drmola, Ball.