Derby clash settled by last-gasp penalty

North Walsham 6, Holt 5: With much of the action taking place between the two 10 metre lines in an evenly contested encounter, this local derby cup tie was not decided until the final kick of the game.

Hosts North Walsham eventually prevailed against their lower ranked visitors, with a penalty from Harry Dewing settling the issue.

Holt kicked off with the strong wind behind them, outside half Iain Young gaining good field position with his out of hand kicking.

Walsham, in red jerseys, had an early run when Chris Kent broke down the right wing, but he lacked support to take things further.

The Holt forwards gave the Vikings' front row some early problems and Dan Watt, Paul Amis and Sam Wright were particularly strong in the ruck and tackle.

You may also want to watch:

Walsham hooker Dom Roberts was having problems getting the line-out ball in straight because of the wind, but Ian Beck took the catches well.

Young saw his penalty attempt from halfway drift left, whereas Henry Dewing for Vikings was successful with a penalty when the visitors were caught offside some minutes later.

Most Read

Viking No 13 James Crossley was unlucky not to offload to Tony Kingsmill after a piercing run, before visiting centre Graham Ilsley broke through for a well taken Holt try, with Young seeing his conversion kick come back off the right upright. Young then failed with a penalty when Vikings were caught offside.

The Walsham forwards perked up before half-time, with both Ian Beck and Chris Kent popping up in the line and Tom Coller putting in some important tackles. At the break Holt led 5-3.

Early in the second period, Walsham No 10 Dewing was sent to the sin bin for a high tackle, while his fellow three quarters were attempting loops and centre miss-moves in an attempt to break out of defence. However, often the ball didn't go to hand and the visitors were now within eight metres of the home line.

Later both sides brought on most of their substitutes, including Holt captain Karl Rumsby and Washam stalwart Leon Davies, back from duty in Afghanistan.

Dewing missed a penalty on 64 minutes but Vikings were now beginning to press towards the Holt goal line.

Two minutes from the end a kick ahead on the Walsham left wing saw Richard Justice beat Adam Dye to the touchdown to prevent a score.

However, with time running out, and the visitors again offside, Dewing converted a penalty 18 metres in from the left touch line to snatch victory for North Walsham with the final move of the match.

This game provided an illustration of the current situation for both teams, Holt a well drilled unit on an unbeaten league run, and Walsham beginning to rally after some time in a downward cycle.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter