Defty hits quickfire treble as King’s Lynn cruise

King's Lynn Town led the scoring honours for local sides in the opening round of the FA Cup at the weekend.

The Linnets hit six for the second time in the space of three games as they demolished Ridgeons League First Division side Whitton United 6-1 at The Walks.

It was Town's first ever game in the FA Cup, and, once again, they turned on the style in front of a crowd of 632.

It was a Jack Defty hat-trick inside 10 minutes in the first half which did for the visitors and earned Lynn a home preliminary round tie against Soham Town Rangers in a fortnight's time.

Town went ahead on four minutes through Steve Spriggs. Defty scored the first of his quickfire triple on 21 minutes, with Jamie Thurlbourne's 54th-minute penalty and a Danny Beaumont goal 15 minutes from time completing the home tally. Whitton scored a consolation effort through Anton Clarke in the 85th minute.

You may also want to watch:

But it was a mixed day for most of the other local sides, with early exits for Diss Town, thumped 4-0 at Ely City; Norwich United, who went down to a 34th-minute goal by Adam Hampson at Felixstowe and Walton United; Great Yarmouth Town, beaten 3-0 at home by FC Clacton and Kirkley & Pakefield, who lost 2-1 at March Town United. Mildenhall went down 4-0 at home to Brantham Athletic.

Gorleston survive to fight another day after a 2-2 at Woodbridge Town, while Wisbech Town put four past Halstead Town without reply.

Most Read

Two goals from substitute Scott Woodgate kept Gorleston in the competition with a spirited comeback.

Liam Scopes gave the hosts a first-half lead, with James Hubbard adding a second nine minutes after the break.

Gorleston responded and Gary Williams, cutting in from the right, saw a powerful left-footed shot fisted away by the keeper.

The comeback began 13 minutes later, as Williams broke down the left wing and hit a cross on the run which found Woodgate's head and he found the net.

With two minutes remaining Chris Sandford set up Woodgate, who took it round the keeper and tapped in the equaliser.

The replay is at Emerald Park tomorrow night, the winners at home to Harlow Town.

Wisbech were home by half-time against Halstead. Olly Gale's 11th-minute header set the ball rolling, with Chris Bacon latching on to a bad back pass to double the score on 26 minutes.

Liam Nimmo made it 3-0 just before the break, with Sam Murphy wrapping it up 15 minutes from time to set up a derby clash at March Town in the next round.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter