Declan shakes off injury to claim European medals in Turkey
- Credit: Submitted
City of Norwich Athletic Club member Declan Manning returned from the International Association of Sport for para-athletes European Championships in Ankara, Turkey.
The 23-year-old was selected to represent the UK Sports Association learning disability team in the hammer, discus and shot put events.
The UK team of six athletes and three coaches travelled out to Ankara in Turkey via Istanbul from Manchester airport and, fortunately, narrowly missed the recent bomb attack at Istanbul Airport, after leaving to travel on the Ankara airport transfer flight 45 minutes before the first bomb went off.
The team and supporters who travelled out to Turkey, including Declan's father and coach, Kevin Manning, would like to express their deepest sympathy for the families and friends of all of those who lost their lives and were injured in the terrible attack. Although deeply shocked, the terrible incident did not faze the team as they went on to collect 12 medals between them.
Declan won silver in the hammer, bronze in the discus and finished fourth in the shot put. This was quite an achievement for Declan, who is still recovering from an injury to his throwing arm, and is still having physio to return to full fitness.
You may also want to watch:
Declan said: 'I would like to thank everyone who has helped me over the last three months to recover from my injury and I look forward to getting back to throwing to my full potential shortly.
'This will hopefully allow me to throw at the remaining Parallel League events this season.'
- 1 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 2 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 3 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 4 Work started on four new homes without permission
- 5 Holt Hall for sale after years of uncertainty
- 6 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 7 Swathes of new homes for village move step closer with new planning bid
- 8 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 9 Farm worker fined after hay bales fall off trailer and hit car
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?