Declan Rudd ‘over the moon’ to sign new Norwich City contract
- Credit: Stefano Gnech/Focus Images Ltd
Norwich City goalkeeper Declan Rudd has said he is 'over the moon' after signing a new three-year contract with the Canaries.
The Diss-born academy graduate has signed his new deal, which has an option for a further year, following a successful season on loan in League One with Preston North End.
The 23-year-old kept 20 clean sheets during 55 games with Preston, experiencing defeat in the semi-finals of the League One play-offs.
'To be here is what I've always wanted. I started watching Norwich when I was about six and I joined the academy a couple of years later,' Rudd told City's website.
'For the club to sign me on a longer-term deal is brilliant for myself so I'm over the moon and really looking forward to the season.
You may also want to watch:
'I'm just going to keep working hard, put everything into training then if I get an opportunity, take it.'
Rudd, who was a regular for England at under-19 level and was capped once at under-21 level, now looks set to be John Ruddy's regular understudy this season.
- 1 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 3 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 4 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 5 Government must step in to help 'desperate' Norwich hospital, says MP
- 6 Covid case rates continue to fall across Norfolk and Waveney
- 7 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 8 Woman in 60s suffers serious injuries after car crashes into ditch
- 9 Plea for farmers to engage with public over footpath fears
- 10 'Disappointment' as thieves raid £16,000 of kit from town's sports club
He will compete with Mark Bunn for a place in the team if Ruddy is unavailable, with 20-year-old Remi Matthews also providing cover after signing a two-year professional contract earlier this summer.
Former Northampton and Blackburn stopper Bunn is out of contract at Carrow Road next summer.