Dan Quigley booted out of King’s Lynn Town after another no-show

Dan Quigley. Picture: Matthew Usher.

Dan Quigley. Picture: Matthew Usher. - Credit: Matthew Usher

Disgraced midfielder Dan Quigley has been shown the door at King's Lynn Town Football Club.

Linnets boss Gary Setchell confirmed that Quigley, inset, had played his last game for the club after failing to turn up for Saturday's 1-0 home defeat to Whitby Town – his third no-show of the campaign.

It proved to be the final straw for the Lynn boss, who recently gave the Northampton-based player a second chance after he owned up to personal issues earlier in the season.

A disappointed Setchell said: 'David Bell was taken ill this morning, but Quigs just didn't turn up so that's him finished.

'We heard nothing from him. No text, no call, just a no-show and that's a shame as I've a great relationship with all of the championship-winning squad of 2013.

'I feel badly let down by him. He is up to his old tricks again and he shouldn't be leaving this club under this cloud, he should have been leaving with his head held high.

'It's the third time he hasn't turned up. He confessed his problems last time and we tried to help him, but that's it.

Most Read

'As much as I think of him as a lad and what he has done for the football club he is finished. There will be no more reprieves.

'When he was up to what he was up to, most clubs would have sacked him, but we stood by him and he has repaid me like this.'

Setchell admitted that he had considered keeping Quigley for next season before his latest misdemeanour.

'Quigs hadn't had his greatest season and he is still a young enough lad. He gave you something extra with his desire without a football.

'Due to his problems I think we've only had a 50pc Quigs this year – he wasn't the same player as he was when he first joined.'

The deciding goal on Saturday arrived two minutes into the second half when the unmarked James Brown easily headed home at the back post.

The Linnets had dominated the first period without finding the back of the net.

Lee Stevenson and Jacek Zielonka both had chances in a scrappy first half, Zielonka hitting the inside of the post in the third minute, while Whitby goalkeeper Shane Bland did well to keep out efforts from Stevenson and Conor Marshall in quick succession.

On the defeat, Setchell said: 'That was a mirror of a lot of the away games we've played this season.

'We've dominated, created chances and missed some gilt-edged opportunities. Their goalkeeper has made some great saves and that's another game we should never have lost.'

'Once Whitby scored we never found the same rhythm as we did in the first half and that's when we needed to be mentally stronger.'

Lynn: Street, Stocker, Yong, Watson (Eze 45), Fryatt, Marshall, Spriggs (Frew 65), Bridges, Zielonka, Stevenson, Jones (Mulready 65). Unused subs: Ramm, Colman.

Whitby: Bland, Shepherd, Robinson, Poole, Pell, McTiernan, Mason, Hopson (Raby 85), Brown (Nolan 79), Snaith, Waters (Gardener 81). Unused subs: Williams and Campbell.

Attendance: 482.

Referee: J Burridge (Cambridge).