Cyril Abiteboul upbeat after Caterham ‘restart’ their season at Silverstone
- Credit: Archant
It was a quiet British Grand Prix for Hingham-backed Caterham, but team principal Cyril Abiteboul believes it signals the real start of their season.
Charles Pic outpaced both rivals at Marussia and his team-mate Giedo van der Garde to finish 15th – and within touching distance of the midfield pack thanks to a late safety car.
'I'm certainly happier leaving our second home race of the season than I was when we left Montreal,' said Abiteboul.
'Seeing Charles towards the end of the race with clear air between him and the Marussia behind, and targeting a fight with (the Williams of Valtteri) Bottas and (Sauber's Esteban) Gutierrez is a sign that we're getting back to the performance level we are targeting for this season.
'But it's still frustrating that with such an eventful race we weren't able to use this as an opportunity to record a more positive result.
You may also want to watch:
'That said, after a couple of particularly frustrating races with retirements, I see this weekend as a restart of the season. The team is now fully operational, between the track and the factory, between the drivers and the engineers, with our technical partners, to make the most out of the package available.
'We all feel there's more performance to get out of it, and we must now switch to attack mode to see what we can deliver at tracks that are more suited to the characteristics of our car.'
- 1 Revealed: Siblings' bodies were found after father's death
- 2 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 3 Brother and sister found dead in their home are named
- 4 Body believed to be missing man found near Norfolk coast
- 5 Man jailed for stealing underwear and sex toy from village house
- 6 No-frills Norwich pub offers top-notch food and every dish is under £8
- 7 Sales rep who died at nature reserve named at inquest
- 8 Neighbours of murdered woman tell of terrifying scene in close
- 9 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 10 Widow threatened with debt collectors after funeral director’s bill blunder
That process will start at the German Grand Prix this coming weekend – something of a quick turnaround as the summer break comes closer into view.
Caterham remain behind Marussia in the constructors' championship, in need of a 13th place or better to overtake them.