Senter makes his 2019 return and gets back in the winning groove
- Credit: Archant
King's Lynn rider Matthew Senter made his first appearance of the 2019 season in the Wolsey Road Club 25 on the Waveney course – and straight away topped the results.
It was a rather bleak morning on the Waveney Valley course, with a considerable cross-wind and occasional flurries of rain.
Senter said he was going well for half the race- but then 'had massive trouble with my visor steaming up' – and lost a lot of time. But it wasn't enough to be beaten by Plomesgate CC riders Lloyd Chapman (52:58) and Ant Birt (57:33), who took the next two places.
Among the veterans the highest-placed Norfolk rider was Philip Watkins of North Norfolk Wheelers who took sixth overall and the prize for his 55-60 age group.
Winning the Wolsey RC's women's event and thus taking the Pat Pepper Trophy for third time was Amy Pritchard, who led a 10-strong entry from her central London club Giant Camden Team Liv. The team, which included several members racing for the first time, arrived in a hired mini-bus and stayed overnight in Pulham Market.
You may also want to watch:
Pritchard, who herself races in the name of Team Bottrill the coaching network, was just a single second under 61 minutes and nearly four minutes clear of her nearest local challenger. This was Jen Smart, formerly of VC Norwich and now with VeloVelocity who returned 1:04:52. Third was closely contested between Jenny Anderson (1:07:55) and her Great Yarmouth CC clubmate Jan Smith who was one second slower.
DAP CC were proud to see three of their members: Morris Bacon, Titch Richards and Harley Matthews, completing the full distance of perhaps Britain's toughest single day road race, the part off-road Cicle Classic in Rutland.
- 1 Revealed: Siblings' bodies were found after father's death
- 2 Body believed to be missing man found near Norfolk coast
- 3 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out
- 4 Neighbours of murdered woman tell of terrifying scene in close
- 5 Sales rep who died at nature reserve named at inquest
- 6 No-frills Norwich pub offers top-notch food and every dish is under £8
- 7 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 8 Police name murder victim, who died of 'severe head injury'
- 9 Firefighters dash to tackle blaze at coastal holiday resort
- 10 Widow threatened with debt collectors after funeral director’s bill blunder
Norwich Flyers BMX Club were hosts for round four of the Regional Summer Series.
Club members winning included Ethan Wink (M9), Jared Hill (M12/13) and Adi Warden (Vets) while there were second places for Charlie Ives (M10), and Alan Hill (Combined Cruisers).
On Mayday Bank Holiday Monday afternoon there is spectator-friendly Round-the Houses racing in Ixworth village centre – just off the A143.