Cycling Club Breckland hands out its annual prizes
Cycling Club Breckland honoured its prize winners at a dinner at the Richmond Golf Club in Watton, an event notable for the first presentation of their new Clubman of the Year cup.
This is in memory of Tony Reynolds, clubman par excellence, and went to Simon Atherton.
Alongside this was the Breckland's Service to the Club award which this year went to Val Hester, who amongst several other jobs was organiser of the dinner.
Guests of Honour were Keith Harrison and Sue Gatehouse, organisers in several capacities for Audax UK, the long distance cyclists' association.
Keith talked of his experiences with the running of London-Edinburgh-London, the 1,400km event that received a full field of one thousand entries within 24 hours of opening for business, and of the impact of the recent growth of interest in cycling on more grassroots events – like the Norfolk Nips series of 100km winter events. Go to www.norfolkngoodaudax.com if you would like to know more.
Club chairman Don Saunders was MC and a long list of racing award-winners was headed by Club Champion Roger Graham.
Next morning club members gathered at Berry Lane, Honingham for their annual hill climb and freewheeling competition where Harvey Hall was the fastest club member uphill and Emily Davis went furthest downhill.
- 1 Broads pub once visited by Chelsea players shuts for good
- 2 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 3 Body found in woods near Mildenhall
- 4 A coach 'filled with people' and a van crash on the NDR
- 5 'Like touching grim reaper's nose': Teenager lucky to be alive after crash
- 6 Norfolk's oldest woman dies, aged 110
- 7 Tributes to 'kind and caring' Norwich man with a love of chess and walking
- 8 Fury at bikers' who rode over dead seal pup
- 9 One person rescued after crash on A47
- 10 Former paint brush factory could become large community church
The East and South-East Regional Cross Championships are to be held on a new course at Trinity Park, Ipswich on Sunday, December 8. Details are at www.easterncross.org.uk