Cromer boxer Liam Walsh to defend European lightweight title against Scott Harrison
- Credit: PA
Cromer boxer Liam Walsh is to defend his WBO European lightweight title against former two-time WBO world champion Scott Harrison.
The pair will face each other at Wembley Arena on Saturday, April 2 as the chief support on Frank Warren's show headlined by Nathan Cleverly's WBO world light-heavyweight title defence against Robin Krasniqi, plus the return of heavyweight Dereck Chisora.
Walsh, who also holds the Commonwealth super-featherweight title, is unbeaten in 13 fights and won the WBO European lightweight crown last July when he beat Italian Domenico Urbano.
'I've got a lot of respect for Scott,' he said. 'I remember watching his fights years ago against Manuel Medina, shouting at the TV and cheering him on. So it seems a little surreal that I'm now going to be fighting him. On the other hand, that was years ago and this is a crucial fight for me to win on the way to a world title.
'I don't believe he is the same fighter he once was. I'm certainly not overawed by him, I'm young, fresh, and very ambitious, but that makes the fight more appealing.'
You may also want to watch:
Harrison, a former British and Commonwealth featherweight champion, held the WBO world featherweight title in two reigns, making eight defences of the belt. Well documented problems kept Harrison out of the ring from 2005 and he made his comeback last year, racking up two wins against Gyorgy Mizsei and Joe Elfidh.
'Walsh is a good young fighter – he's fast and he's ambitious and this is the fight that will show all the doubters that I'm back and I mean business,' said Harrison.
- 1 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 2 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 3 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 4 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 5 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 6 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 7 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 8 Man was found dead after lockdown hit business, inquest told
- 9 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 10 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
'I've had two wins since making my comeback and this is the first high profile fight against a young hungry fighter which will test me and show me how far I'm off challenging for a world title.'