Croft hoping for happy homecoming in cup
Norwich midfielder Lee Croft is targeting a happy homecoming ahead of City's Carling Cup third round tie against old club Manchester City on Tuesday, September 25.
Norwich midfielder Lee Croft is targeting a happy homecoming ahead of City's Carling Cup third round tie against old club Manchester City on Tuesday, September 25. (7.45pm).
The former City trainee is poised for his first return since a £600,000 Carrow Road switch in July 2006. Croft admits he and former team mate Darren Huckerby are looking forward to the showdown against Sven Goran-Eriksson's revamped squad.
“It's great for me to go back to my old club and see a lot of players I haven't seen for a while,” said Croft. “It'll be a nice occasion.
“With Sven having been England manager it's good to go and play against one of his teams. It will be a tough game but, as all the lads have asked me, it will be a nice stage to play on, a really nice stadium, against one of the better teams in the league at the moment.
“It's especially nice for me and Darren, ex-players with Manchester City, to see a few old faces. I speak to quite a few of them, Micah Richard and Stephen Ireland and the young lads I grew up with. Sven's put them in the spotlight and they seem to be carrying on doing well.”
Croft is desperate to force his way into the Norwich starting line up after a late cameo from the substitutes' bench in City's disappointing 2-1 weekend defeat to Cardiff ahead of the international fortnight.
- 1 Massive care village and research park planned for edge of Norwich
- 2 Travellers set up 'unauthorised' camp in popular park
- 3 Mods and rockers taking over Norfolk town for classic bike and scooter meet
- 4 Large aircraft in shape of whale spotted above Norfolk
- 5 Why is Norfolk not introducing a hosepipe ban?
- 6 Dash cams help police prosecute 400 drivers in a year
- 7 Warning to pet owners after chocolate dumped in seaside village
- 8 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 9 'I'm sorry' - Woman behind cancelled festival offers customers £100,000
- 10 Can you spot yourself in the Classic Ibiza crowd at Blickling?
“It's always disappointing when you've come out of a game and lost, especially just before the international break,” he said. “We'd rather have gone into it with a win, with our heads held high. Losing a game like that and having two weeks before you can put it right is a big disappointment.”
Norwich head to the north west bidding to overturn a wretched league cup record against their illustrious Premiership opponents. The Canaries have been dumped out of the competition on all three previous occasions. Man City won twice in the 1970s before edging a third round Maine Road tie 3-1 in 1989/90.
t Tickets for the fixture are priced at £15 for adults and £5 for senior citizens and under 16s. However, there will be a £5 premium for adult tickets if purchased on the night of the game.
To purchase your tickets call 0870 444 1902 or call into the Norwich City ticket office in the Norwich Union Community Stand, Carrow Road.