Cray Wanderers 3 Wroxham 1 – Wonder strike in vain for unlucky Yachtsmen
- Credit: Steve Adams
A Matty Waters wonder goal 10 minutes into the second half wasn't enough to earn Wroxham a point against the Ryman North league leaders in Kent.
Wroxham came out of the blocks quickly but it was Elliot Pride who was called into action first when he saved well to deny Leigh Bremners.
The Yachtsmen made chances of their own and Jamie Forshaw actually had the ball in the back of the net, only for the goal to be ruled out as Seamus Kelleher was in an offside position.
Cray got their noses in front when Michael Frieter saw a cross from the right-hand side met by the sliding foot of James Duckworth who made it 1-0, with only 10 minutes left of the half.
Michael Sommerfield then had a brilliant chance to equalise just before the end of the half, after a weaving run from Kelleher saw him get fouled on the edge of the box. However, Sommerfield couldn't replicate his goal from midweek as the ball narrowly missed the right-hand post. Waters then saw a great shot saved down to the keeper's right just before the whistle.
Just before the hour mark Waters picked the ball up on the edge of the area.
The winger then showed some mesmerising skill to find space on his left foot before curling the ball perfectly into the top left-hand corner of the net to get the Yachtsmen back level.
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 Weather warning in place as snow falls in parts of Norfolk and Waveney
- 3 Luxury manor for sale with a 'Hobbit house' in the grounds
- 4 Covid restrictions played part in father's death, inquest told
- 5 Passengers angry after train heading to Norwich delayed for hours
- 6 School closed its doors for three days after Covid outbreak
- 7 Car flips over in crash near south Norfolk village
- 8 Unfinished barn conversion to go up for sale at auction
- 9 Out of control dog attacked and killed sheep, court hears
- 10 Norwich painter and decorator named best in the country
However, the home side pushed on after the goal and saw two chances in quick succession from Andre McCollin and Sean Roberts both miss the target.
With 15 minutes remaining the home side restored their lead, as a ball was played through the defence and into the path of substitute Ben Hunt who kept his cool and finished to the right of Pride.
Wroxham then had a brilliant chance to equalise, after a long ball over the top of the Cray defence was met by the toe of Forshaw whose shot went agonisingly close to the bottom-right corner.
With nine minutes remaining Cray added a third goal to their tally, as a through ball saw a replica of the second goal as Hunt finished well to give the current league leaders a well earned three points.
Cray Wanderers: Blue, Powell, Basey, Fox, Payne, Roberts, Tajbakhsh, Frieter, Bremner, McCollin (Hunt 71), Duckworth. Subs not used: Vines, Ibemere, Faulkner, Dent. Goals: Duckworth 34, Hunt 75, 82
Wroxham: Pride, Taylor, Foreman, Sturman, Ebbage, Halliday, Waters (Howell 81), Sommerfield, Forshaw, Guyton, Kelleher. Subs not used: King, Norman. Goal: Waters 57.
Referee: Matt Corlett