Cray Wanderers 0 Lowestoft Town 4
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Lowestoft's fourth consecutive win extended their current unbeaten run to six games as they kept in touch with the promotion pack.
Michael Frew's illness saw a recall to the starting line up for Jack Ainsley with Chris Henderson moving up front to partner Jake Reed.
Any thoughts that Lowestoft's tendency to struggle to overcome sides at the foot of the table were dispelled as early as the seventh minute with them moving ahead. Robert Eagle's shot was pushed away by Darren Behcet but returned into the middle by Jack Ainsley for Reed to steer just inside the post.
In line with both sides current form Lowestoft were having most of the play and might have increased their lead had Sam Gaughran's header from an Eagle corner not deflected off the legs of a defender and wide of the post.
Lowestoft increased their lead in the 22nd minute with Reed and Henderson combining down the right before playing the ball inside to Eagle who placed his side wide of the keeper and inside the far post.
Cray started the second period with a flurry of attacks but without causing the Town defence any trouble before they were hit by a third Lowestoft goal.
Eagle played the ball out to Henderson coming in from the left and his shot was deflected perfectly for Eagle to spin and shoot between the keeper and his near post.
- 1 Driver caught hitting speeds of 119mph on A47
- 2 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 3 Fake chefs deliver out-of-date lasagne to Carrow Road ahead of Spurs clash
- 4 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
- 5 Where the streets have no cars... the community that banned the school run
- 6 Investigation closed after cash stolen from popular attraction
- 7 Crash closes part of B1145 in west Norfolk
- 8 City burger joint takes beef off the menu
- 9 More cameras could be on way to fine law-breaking Norfolk motorists
- 10 Cyclist airlifted to hospital with serious injuries following incident
Lowestoft completed the scoring in the 71st minute with Jack Ainsley playing a sweet pass through the Cray defence for Reed to run through and calmly play the ball past Behcet into the net.
In the end it had been a comfortable afternoon for the Blues but the whole team had showed the right mentality and determination to dispel the fears of another slip up.
The management team were naturally delighted with the performance and another three points and clean sheet. With the game won the side tended to coast in the final quarter with the game won.
They will be looking to take their form into this evening's Ryman League Premier clash at promotion rivals Hendon.
Cray Wanderers: Behcet, Udoji, Simpson, James-Lewis (Sub Ashikodi 34), Orome, Obamwonyi, Stavrinou, Beckett, Vines (Sub Stone 70), Fakinos (Sub Larin 76), Bird, Subs (not used) Talbot, Rowe
Lowestoft Town: Jones, Williams, S Ainsley, Fisk, Gleeson (Haynes-Brown 70), Gaughran, J Ainsley, Jarvis (Okay 76), Reed, Henderson (A Smith 76), Eagle.