County captain Iain Yule holds his nerve to claim win
County captain Iain Yule kept his nerve in a pressure situation to steer King's Lynn to an exciting victory in the Norfolk Scratch League Finals at Eaton.
With the rain pouring down everything hinged on the final match out on the course, with Yule up against Craig Spurr of Royal Norwich.
Yule took a one hole lead into the last hole and Spurr put in one final effort but his wily opponent hung on, ensuring the last hole was halved and his side won the final 3-2.
The finals saw six clubs drawn into two groups, with the club scoring the most points in each group going through to the afternoon. The morning matches between Royal Norwich, Costessey Park and Mundesley in Group One and King's Lynn, Sprowston Manor and Barnham Broom in Group Two produced some fine golf in very challenging conditions, with Royal Norwich and King's Lynn – whose side also included Iain's son Jack, Luke Johnson, Paul Reade and Paul Holland – eventually prevailing.
Meanwhile, three players who were on losing teams in the Sunday morning Scratch finals at Eaton dashed across Norwich to take part in the Royal Norwich Golf Club Open for the Roger Trower Memorial Trophy.
You may also want to watch:
Matt Bacon of Costessey Park won the trophy with a one under par 71 gross. Bacon's win, as far as the Smith & Pinching NCGU Order of Merit is concerned, means that with one competition remaining in the series he has earned himself an unassailable lead in the scratch table.
Scratch: Matthew Bacon (Costessey Park) 71 100pts, P Mullen (Royal Norwich) 75 85pts, Kevin Webb (Costessey Park) 76 70pts, R McGregor (Royal Norwich) 77 60pts, Ben Rawsthorne (Bawburgh) 78 50pts, Charlie Bright (Royal Cromer) 79 30pts, Jon Batten (Royal Norwich) 79 30pts, W Gannaway (Royal Norwich) 79 30pts, Adam Lewarne (Middleton Hall) 80 10pts, K Woodcock (Royal Norwich) 81 5pts.
- 1 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 3 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 4 Covid case rates continue to fall across Norfolk and Waveney
- 5 Voyeur watched people after setting up secret cameras in bathroom
- 6 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 7 Government must step in to help 'desperate' Norwich hospital, says MP
- 8 Woman in 60s suffers serious injuries after car crashes into ditch
- 9 Photo gallery: Snow turns region into winter wonderland
- 10 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
Handicap: P Mullen 67 100pts, Kevin Webb 71 77�pts, Matthew Bacon 71 77�pts, R McGregor 72 45pts, W Gannaway 72 45pts, P Hancock (Royal Norwich) 72 45pts, K Woodcock 72 45pts, Adam Lewarne 75 112/3pts, K Kent (Royal Norwich) 75 112/3, G Robinson (Royal Norwich) 75 112/3