County captain Iain Yule holds his nerve to claim win
County captain Iain Yule kept his nerve in a pressure situation to steer King's Lynn to an exciting victory in the Norfolk Scratch League Finals at Eaton.
With the rain pouring down everything hinged on the final match out on the course, with Yule up against Craig Spurr of Royal Norwich.
Yule took a one hole lead into the last hole and Spurr put in one final effort but his wily opponent hung on, ensuring the last hole was halved and his side won the final 3-2.
The finals saw six clubs drawn into two groups, with the club scoring the most points in each group going through to the afternoon. The morning matches between Royal Norwich, Costessey Park and Mundesley in Group One and King's Lynn, Sprowston Manor and Barnham Broom in Group Two produced some fine golf in very challenging conditions, with Royal Norwich and King's Lynn – whose side also included Iain's son Jack, Luke Johnson, Paul Reade and Paul Holland – eventually prevailing.
Meanwhile, three players who were on losing teams in the Sunday morning Scratch finals at Eaton dashed across Norwich to take part in the Royal Norwich Golf Club Open for the Roger Trower Memorial Trophy.
You may also want to watch:
Matt Bacon of Costessey Park won the trophy with a one under par 71 gross. Bacon's win, as far as the Smith & Pinching NCGU Order of Merit is concerned, means that with one competition remaining in the series he has earned himself an unassailable lead in the scratch table.
Scratch: Matthew Bacon (Costessey Park) 71 100pts, P Mullen (Royal Norwich) 75 85pts, Kevin Webb (Costessey Park) 76 70pts, R McGregor (Royal Norwich) 77 60pts, Ben Rawsthorne (Bawburgh) 78 50pts, Charlie Bright (Royal Cromer) 79 30pts, Jon Batten (Royal Norwich) 79 30pts, W Gannaway (Royal Norwich) 79 30pts, Adam Lewarne (Middleton Hall) 80 10pts, K Woodcock (Royal Norwich) 81 5pts.
- 1 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 2 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 3 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 4 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 5 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 6 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 7 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’
- 8 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 9 Swathes of new homes for village move step closer with new planning bid
- 10 Farm worker fined after hay bales fall off trailer and hit car
Handicap: P Mullen 67 100pts, Kevin Webb 71 77�pts, Matthew Bacon 71 77�pts, R McGregor 72 45pts, W Gannaway 72 45pts, P Hancock (Royal Norwich) 72 45pts, K Woodcock 72 45pts, Adam Lewarne 75 112/3pts, K Kent (Royal Norwich) 75 112/3, G Robinson (Royal Norwich) 75 112/3