Corby Town 3, King's Lynn 0

King's Lynn's hopes of automatic promotion from the Southern League, Premier Division suffered a major setback last night as they crashed at bottom side Corby.

King's Lynn's hopes of automatic promotion from the Southern League, Premier Division suffered a major setback last night as they crashed at bottom side Corby.

The Linnets never recovered from finding themselves a goal down after just 57 seconds as they failed to build on a dismal record at Corby which had produced just three points from their last seven visits, with 21 goals being conceded.

Despite enjoying the majority of first-half pressure, Keith Webb's men could find no way back and conceded two further goals late on to round off a thoroughly miserable night.

Corby stunned the crowd of 212 inside the first minute when Mark Burrows found Scott Musgrove and his pass fell nicely for Steve Towers power past a helpless Shaun Marshall.

Chris Difante then broke down the Steelmen's left and tested Marshall with a stinging shot which the goalkeeper did well to beat away.

At the other end Jack Defty played a good ball to Alex Notman, but he was too slow to create a shooting chance. However the ball broke to Mark Camm, who fired high over the bar.

Most Read

After Burrows had brought down Jack Defty, Notman took the resultant free-kick and although Greg Crane connected for a great header, home captain Goodwin was able to clear off the line, only to see the Lynn man penalised for climbing.

Lynn pressed forward again and Dean West crossed for Jack Defty to head just wide.

Camm then burst through from midfield to test Pledger from 20 yards, but the goalkeeper beat the ball away.

Danny Bloomfield picked up a poor back pass to run at the defence, but aimed his shot well wide.

As the Linnets continued to press forward, Luke Fell set Notman up for an effort which was only just wide as Pledger scrambled across his goal.

Crane then found Jack Defty, who shot from 20 yards but failed to trouble Pledger. Lynn had had the majority of the play and possession but seldom looked like creating a clear opening as two poor sides struggled to find any rhythm to their play.

Lynn made one change at the interval with Matt O'Halloran on for Luke Fell.

Corby's Scot Musgrove quickly carried the ball deep into Lynn territory, but his early goal attempt went wide. Charlie Defty then made a good interception when Difante got away in a dangerous break.

Lynn then made a third and final substitution when Sam Gaughran replaced Charlie Defty, who had earlier taken a knock, with Matthew Nolan having already replaced Notman.

Bloomfield was able to gather the ball after a long downfield punt by Marshall, but his half-hit shot went narrowly wide.

After Crane fouled Chris Goodman, the Steelman took the resultant free-kick himself, only for the Lynn centre-half to head away over his own bar.

Corby now had a spell of pressure which saw Jonas' cross from the right give Difante a clear opening, but he put the ball well over when well placed.

Corby finally clinched the points in the 90th minute when substitute Kevin Byrne played a perfect cross for Difante to head past a disbelieving Marshall.

In the dying seconds Difante completed Lynn's misery when he easily beat the offside trap to net a third goal after a fine pass from Byrne had played him in.