Conroy looking forward to European Championship challenge
- Credit: Archant
Norwich's Amy Conroy has been named in the GB women's wheelchair basketball team for the European Championships.
The 20-year-old was a star performer at last summer's London 2012 Paralympic Games and joins a GB team which blends experience and fresh blood as they seek to improve on its bronze medal position at the last Euros when they set out for Frankfurt at the end of this month.
'I'm so excited to be playing alongside the girls again,' said Conroy, a former Notre Dame High School pupil. 'After the disappointment in London everyone's come back fighting with such passion and determination it's awesome to see.
'We've been training really hard and can't wait to show what we can do.'
Head coaches Nigel Smith and Joe Jayaratne believe Conroy and Co can create a formidable future threat.
You may also want to watch:
With an average age of 24, the team – which also includes Ely's Sarah Grady – includes three new faces from London 2012, with 14-year-old Charlotte Moore joining Sophie Carrigill, 19, and Kirsty Wallace, 31, in making their European Champion ship debuts.
'It was very tough for us to narrow the squad down to the 12 players selected, but we feel they are the best players at this moment to help us achieve success in Frankfurt,' said Smith. 'We are looking forward to the European Championships as we believe that with the changes we have made over the last few months we can compete for a major medal although the tricky task of qualifying for the World Championships is never easy.'
- 1 A47 closed in both directions after crash
- 2 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 3 Woman in her 20s among 31 Covid patients to die in five days at hospital
- 4 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 5 Road through village closed by floodwater
- 6 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 7 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 8 Armed police detain man after 18 hours of negotiations
- 9 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 10 Covid rips through care homes again with deaths almost doubling in a week