Conroy looking forward to European Championship challenge
- Credit: Archant
Norwich's Amy Conroy has been named in the GB women's wheelchair basketball team for the European Championships.
The 20-year-old was a star performer at last summer's London 2012 Paralympic Games and joins a GB team which blends experience and fresh blood as they seek to improve on its bronze medal position at the last Euros when they set out for Frankfurt at the end of this month.
'I'm so excited to be playing alongside the girls again,' said Conroy, a former Notre Dame High School pupil. 'After the disappointment in London everyone's come back fighting with such passion and determination it's awesome to see.
'We've been training really hard and can't wait to show what we can do.'
Head coaches Nigel Smith and Joe Jayaratne believe Conroy and Co can create a formidable future threat.
You may also want to watch:
With an average age of 24, the team – which also includes Ely's Sarah Grady – includes three new faces from London 2012, with 14-year-old Charlotte Moore joining Sophie Carrigill, 19, and Kirsty Wallace, 31, in making their European Champion ship debuts.
'It was very tough for us to narrow the squad down to the 12 players selected, but we feel they are the best players at this moment to help us achieve success in Frankfurt,' said Smith. 'We are looking forward to the European Championships as we believe that with the changes we have made over the last few months we can compete for a major medal although the tricky task of qualifying for the World Championships is never easy.'
- 1 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 2 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 3 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 4 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 5 Land wanted by village sold to mystery buyer for £50,000 more
- 6 Horse dies two months after being set on fire
- 7 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 8 Norfolk receives overnight flood warnings
- 9 'It was like a river' - Flood damage forces couple to move out
- 10 Two Norfolk care homes among the best in region