Codling coming to the fore in an excellent year on the beaches
- Credit: Archant
It's a pleasure to talk about a positive upturn in sport for the last report of 2014.
There have been codling caught from most beaches, although they are definitely more numerous below Cromer and numbers increase again from Yarmouth down to the Ness.
The boats have had some good fish just off Corton and there have been beach catches of upwards of 12 codling to 3lb.
I've seen pictures of some very nice-looking seven and eight-pounders from Aldeburgh and Orford respectively, although the majority of catches are of fish in the 1½-2lb range.
There are still plenty of whiting around the beaches, and lots of dabs, too, on the shingle.
You may also want to watch:
Holt fished their latest match at Salthouse – the match was a length-only one so all caught fish counted.
Mike Watts finished with a respectable 35 fish of 915cm, including a share of the largest flat and largest round fish. Tony Thomas was a further 15cm back in second with Dick Ellis in third with 844cm. Interesting to note that some of the better whiting were in roe and showing in daylight. There will be some big old whiting along the shingle over the next month.
- 1 People queue at Norwich Primark an hour before 7am reopening
- 2 'We haven't slept': Primark shoppers queue outside city store from 3am
- 3 Woman found dead in country park is named
- 4 Couple sell 'amazing' converted water mill after two-year renovation
- 5 Hospital's walk-in vaccine clinic suspended after poor attendance
- 6 Streets of Norwich packed as lockdown rules ease
- 7 Lanes closed after lorry hits A47 central reservation
- 8 Eight pints pulled in first three minutes as pub's 'happy hour' returns
- 9 Boss puts Queen Anne family home up for sale for £1.325m
- 10 Boss says sorry for fake worker's 'vile' comments about Prince Philip
The year has seen some excellent sport on our beautiful beaches, with lots of rays, smoothounds, and bass, and now a few codling, it seems. Let's hope 2015 is as good to us and that you all have a happy and prosperous New Year.