Coalville 0 Lowestoft Town 0: Below par Lowestoft settle for replay against Coalville

Erkan Okay of Lowestoft Town shoots wide of the target during The FA Cup qualifying second round mat

Erkan Okay of Lowestoft Town shoots wide of the target during The FA Cup qualifying second round match at Owen Street Sports Ground, CoalvillePicture by Richard Land/Focus Images Ltd +44 7713 50700327/09/2014 - Credit: Richard Land/Focus Images Ltd

Lowestoft Town had to settle for a goalless draw and a replay in this FA Cup second qualifying round tie on a hard and bumpy pitch which made fluent football difficult.

Although the game saw plenty of effort and commitment from both sides it lacked real quality with neither keeper seriously tested.

Lowestoft were without the injured Ashlee Jones, suspended Robert Eagle and cup tied Jake Reed but both Dan Gleeson and Rossi Jarvis were passed fit to play.

Lowestoft made a strong start forcing a corner in the first minute from which Curtis Haynes-Brown sent a header looping over the bar. Shaun Bammant, Jarvis and Andrew Fisk carved out a shooting chance for Jefferson Louis but keeper Sean Bowles turned the ball around the post.

A quick break down the right saw full back Jack Farmer on the overlap but his wasted cross sailed harmlessly over the bar.

You may also want to watch:

Numerous offside decisions against both sides prevented the game developing any real flow and the game was getting bogged down in midfield.

Coalville had a great chance to break the deadlock with Lowestoft losing possession 30 yards out and Stuart McNaught released Jake Woolley but, with just Jake Jessup to beat, he shot tamely at the Blues keeper.

Most Read

Lowestoft suffered a blow just past the half hour when Jarvis pulled up and was replaced by Erkan Okay.

Loose play by Lowestoft saw Woolley find Jed Davies on the edge of the box but his rising effort was an inch or two too high. Handball by Fisk gave the home side a free kick in a dangerous position but Cameron Stuart's hard low ball was stabbed wide of the mark by Craig Marshall.

Shortly after the break Haynes-Brown picked out Bammant but as he was preparing to shoot he was foiled by a superb saving tackle by Jamie McAteer.

Lowestoft had upped the tempo and Coalville were now being pressed back.

Bowles was forced to tip a tantalising cross from Jack Ainsley over the bar and followed up by pushing Okay's volley over the top.

Chris Henderson was getting some rough treatment by the home defence which finally led to Stuart receiving a yellow card on the hour.

The lively Henderson was soon in the thick of the action again as he seized on a mistake by McAteer but after cutting inside his final shot lacked any real venom.

With 66 minutes gone Bradley Woods-Garness was sent on to replace Louis for his first taste of action since sustaining injury at the beginning of September last year.

He was immediately in the action picking up a pass from Haynes-Brown but seeing his shot saved at the foot of the post by Bowles.

He then chased a forward ball from Adam Smith but was denied by keeper Bowles racing from his area to head the ball clear and later sent a glancing header wide of the mark.

Although Coalville had not posed much of a threat in the second half they had a last chance of snatching a win in the final minute when awarded a free kick some 25 yards out.

Stuart's excellent free kick picked out the run of Sam Saunders but the big defender sent his header well wide from the edge of the six-yard box.

Although overall it was a disappointing afternoon for Lowestoft the major plus was the return of Woods-Garness who looked quite lively despite being out of action for 54 weeks.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter