Clinical Vikings on the rampage for an historic breakthrough victory
- Credit: Archant
The Vikings made club history with their first victory at Letchworth, sweeping aside their opponents with a clinical display.
They led 19-0 at half time, with two tries in the first seven minutes after the break ending any hopes Letchworth had of a comeback. By the time the hosts got on the scoresheet only a quarter of the game remained – and the Vikings were already 36 points ahead.
'This was a great effort, a truly 80-minute performance,' said head of rugby James Brooks, whose team remain fourth in the table. 'We continued to work hard even when we had a big lead and showed great defensive pride.'
Fifteen minutes in, shortly after Letchworth had hit the post with a long-range penalty, the Vikings went ahead, Mike Hendry slicing through on halfway for Jordan Mustard to score. Three minutes later it was 12-0 as Josh Brown beat three on a 30m run and Ed Sampson scored, Matt Hodgson converting.
Then followed a key passage of the game where the visitors showed outstanding quality both in defence and the ability to see and take a scoring opportunity. Letchworth needed to score next to stay in the match and for 10 minutes they pounded away in the 22, but time and again were repelled, the Vikings showing great discipline and organisation.
You may also want to watch:
A potential Letchworth score was turned into a real Vikings one. Still in his 22, Hodgson spotted space; his deft kick was chased by Hendry who hacked on and Mike Braans outpaced the defenders for a converted try.
The Vikings wasted no time extending their lead in the second half. Two minutes in Hendry again pierced the defence and Jake Duffield raced over. Five minutes later Mustard chased his own neat kick, dislodged the ball as he tackled the defender and Harry Downing made it 29-0. Then, following a break by Duffield, Chalk Hill Brewery Man of the Match Hendry ran a great line for a try which he converted.
- 1 Two Norfolk hotels named among the best in the country
- 2 Man dies following crash between tractor and car
- 3 Jonny to the rescue! Boyfriend springs into action after coffee spill drama
- 4 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 5 Farmhouse sells at auction after 60 bids - but how much did it go for?
- 6 Wife's tribute to horse-loving 'true-gentleman' after inquest
- 7 Former policeman to appear in court accused of rape
- 8 12 police vehicles called to 'very serious' crash in west Norfolk
- 9 The Original Factory Shop opens its doors in north Norfolk
- 10 Delays on A47 following crash
With the match entering the final quarter Kyle Hughes scored for Letchworth before a Ifereimi Vukinavanua try made it 36-10.
Order was soon restored, with two converted tries seeing the Vikings to their half century; Jono Lawson burst through on the 22 for the first, Hendry converting and then setting up Mustard for another, which Duffield converted.