City Ladies in seventh heaven after running riot against Haringey
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City Ladies gained their first win of the season as the Canaries ran riot to beat newly-promoted Haringey Borough Ladies 7-0 at Plantation Park.
From kick-off Norwich set about their task, establishing themselves and threatening early on.
Norwich were dominating possession and got their reward when Chelsea Garrett calmly slotted the ball past Emma Lawrie the Haringey keeper.
Haringey spent the next 10 minutes penned into their own half with Norwich continuing to dominate, but were unlucky when a single foray into the Norwich half resulted in a missed opportunity.
The pressure on Haringey continued to rise and on 23 minutes Norwich won a free kick outside the 18 yard box, which Aimee Durrant stuck high past Lawrie the Haringey keeper.
You may also want to watch:
Just two minutes later Garrett scored her second past the stranded keeper with ease, but she wasn't done at that scoring a third, her hat-trick 10 minutes later.
Before the whistle Norwich's dominance was rewarded once again when in extra time Durrant registered her second to make it 5-0 at the break.
- 1 New virus named after Norfolk village
- 2 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 3 Latitude labelled 'Covid fest' by health boss as staff forced to isolate
- 4 Holiday park bosses pay tribute to 'popular' worker murdered in Norfolk village
- 5 No club record bid from City for Armstrong
- 6 Banham Poultry evacuated in suspected chemical incident
- 7 'Destination' fish and chip restaurant for sale
- 8 Police child safety team raid house to arrest man
- 9 Eleven people taken to hospital after Banham Poultry chemical spill
- 10 Driving instructor shares terrifying videos of NDR near misses
After the restart Norwich went for possession not territory, however on 49 minutes Charlotte Broad met a corner kick rising above the Haringey defence to head home a sixth for her first goal since joining from Nottingham Forest this summer.
On 53 minutes Natasha Snelling replaced Garrett and within three minutes netted Norwich's seventh of the day.
Norwich upped the pace for the final 10 minutes going close on a few occasions but no further goals, final score 7-0.
The day saw three Norwich debutants giving a good account of themselves, Eilish Brogan gained a clean sheet between the sticks whilst Abbie Everson and Vivian Moyo produced solid performances.
Norwich took all three points and will now start preparations for the FA WPL League Cup fixture against higher league opposition Premier Division South Cardiff City Ladies at home on Sunday, September 3.
Norwich: Brogan, Goodfield, Arnoup, Everson, Thacker, Durrant, Daviss, Shorten (Moerkerk 62), Garrett (Snelling 54), Broad, Moyo. Subs not used: Coombes
Haringey: Lawrie, Christofi, Carruthers, Ayoola, Cox, Dunphy, Gorman (Parker 46), Nicholls, Peter, Nourrice, Jabbi, Subs not used: None
Referee: Vic Petri