City 'close to Cureton deal'
Norwich City were today reported to be close to re-signing striker Jamie Cureton.The 31-year-old ex-Canary was top scorer in the Coca-Cola Championship last season with 23 goals in 44 games for Colchester.
Norwich City were today reported to be close to re-signing striker Jamie Cureton.
The 31-year-old ex-Canary was top scorer in the Coca-Cola Championship last season with 23 goals in 44 games for Colchester.
But Cureton, who left Carrow Road for Bristol Rovers in 1996 after scoring six times in 32 games, has made no secret of his wish to leave Layer Road and last week issued a “come and get me” message to his former club.
Manager Peter Grant admitted at the time he was a big admirer of Cureton.
Asked whether Cureton had figured in his thoughts, Grant said: “For sure. There's no doubt that he's a top-quality player - one that's obviously very close in my way of thinking.
“I always liked him when I played against him after coming to England. He is one of those guys you always have to be careful of.”
- 1 Parish council weighs in on row over 'rollercoaster' racking
- 2 Man in 20s killed and another seriously injured in motorbike crash
- 3 'I couldn't believe it' - West Norfolk villages hit by flash flooding
- 4 House boarded up after fight in Norfolk village
- 5 YouTube professional eater smashes 100oz steak challenge at Norfolk pub
- 6 Norfolk beach named among UK's most contaminated
- 7 'Carnage' as fight involving axes breaks out after van crashes into house
- 8 Heatwave leaves dried-up pond like 'scene from sci-fi movie'
- 9 Norfolk spot named among UK's best waterside pubs
- 10 Where you will be able to see the Red Arrows over Norfolk today
Reports on BBC Essex suggest a deal between Colchester and Norwich is nearing completion.
Bristol-born Cureton also had spells with Bristol Rovers, Reading, Queen's Park Rangers and Swindon.