Chesham United 1 King’s Lynn Town 2: Clunan hits winner for Linnets

Lynn's Michael Clunan. Picture: Ian Burt

Lynn's Michael Clunan. Picture: Ian Burt - Credit: Ian Burt

The Linnets battled hard to pick up three big points against Chesham – a side that hadn't lost since the opening day of the season.

Lynn made two changes from their triumphant FA Cup winning side last week, Danny Emmington made his Linnets debut in place of Liam Fryatt at right-back with the returning Jacek Zielonka taking the place of the injured Leon Mettam.

It was Lynn that started brightly and had the first real chance. A long raking pass from Lee Stevenson released Toby Hilliard who beat former Football League defender Darren Purse for pace before firing a weak effort that was saved comfortably by Ashlee Jones.

The first goal arrived on 16 minutes and it was the home side that took the lead.

Some good build-up play on the Chesham right between Brad Wadkins and Sam Youngs ended with the latter playing the ball into the box for Dave Pearce to fire past the stranded Alex Street.

You may also want to watch:

Moments after the goal, a superb covering block from Sam Gaughran denied Pearce his second.

Lynn got themselves level on 24 minutes, Stevenson drove up the right-hand side and played the ball into Zielonka who cut inside the box and lashed home into the bottom corner.

Most Read

The Linnets had to withstand some pressure before the half-time interval from a flurry of home corners. Street was called upon to parry Martin's effort onto the post.

Lynn then took the lead in extraordinary circumstances on 54 minutes. Home keeper Jones attempted to clear the ball upfield from his hands but the ball made its way straight to Michael Clunan. He took a touch before coolly chipping the ball over the stranded keeper. That sparked wild scenes in the Chesham camp with several players surrounding the referee's assistant trying to get the goal disallowed.

The home side were then reduced to 10 men when experienced centre-half Purse received his marching orders after picking up his second yellow card – both infringements were on Hilliard.

As the rain started to fall harder at The Meadow, Street was called upon to make a point-blank stop from Wadkins when the tall striker's header was saved by the Linnets shot-stopper.

Lynn held on bravely for the remaining 15 minutes as the home side went searching for an equaliser.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus