Chelsea away if City go through
Norwich City will play reigning Premiership champions Chelsea away in the FA Cup fifth round - if they beat Blackpool in their fourth round replay. Fifth round ties will be played on the weekend of February 17 and 18.
Norwich City will play away to reigning Premiership champions Chelsea in the FA Cup fifth round - if they beat Blackpool in their fourth round replay.
But City boss Peter Grant admitted he didn't even watch the draw when it took place.
“No, I didn't watch the draw because that doesn't concern me yet,” he said. “If we were already through to round five then that would be different. But we know we need to get Blackpool out of the way first, that's my only concern.
“It's the sort of draw which might give added motivation to everyone else, but for us we've already got that because we've got a tough match against Blackpool and it's a case of doing a job against them first.
“We've got a home match against Blackpool to come. In the meantime I'm concentrating on getting results in the league, and then it's Blackpool. Only after then can we look further,” he told the club's official website.
City have never beaten Chelsea in the FA Cup in five meetings.
- 1 Overnight works on stretch of A47 prompt 50-mile diversion for two weeks
- 2 Norfolk beach named among UK's most contaminated
- 3 New reservoir could secure region's water supply - but will cost over £1bn
- 4 'Genuine shock' after biker killed in town centre hit-and-run
- 5 Revealed: Buyer of Norwich Airport Industrial Estate - and what they paid
- 6 Police ask neighbours to turn in inconsiderate parkers in new crackdown
- 7 City architect puts huge family home on the market for £1.45m
- 8 Grand Designs water tower to open for public
- 9 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 10 Japanese small plates restaurant opens in Norwich city centre
The last time they were drawn together, in 2002, Chelsea won 4-0 in a third round replay at Stamford Bridge after a 0-0 draw at Carrow Road. Chelsea went on to reach the final, losing 2-0 to Arsenal.
In 1968, City were beaten 1-0 in a fourth round tie at Stamford Bridge when Charlie Cooke scored the Chelsea winner.
The first FA Cup tie between the two clubs was in the third round in 1936, when City drew 1-1 at Carrow Road thanks to a goal from Frank Manders, and lost the replay 3-1, Billy Warnes scoring.
The Canaries face Blackpool in a replay at Carrow Road on Tuesday, February 13, with the fifth round ties to be played on the weekend of February 17 and 18.
Tickets are on sale to City season ticket-holders and members for the replay against Blackpool, at one per supporter.
Season ticket seats are reserved until close of business on Monday, February 5. Any remaining tickets will be on general sale from Tuesday, February 6.
Prices range from £22 in the Castle and Cathedral lounges to £5 for under-12s in some sections of the ground.
Ipswich Town have been drawn away to Watford in the fifth round.
FA Cup fifth round draw: Chelsea v Blackpool or Norwich, Watford v Ipswich, Preston v Manchester City, Plymouth v Derby, Manchester Utd v Reading, Arsenal or Bolton v Blackburn, Bristol City or Middlesbrough v West Bromwich, Fulham v Tottenham.