Cheer up Roy, there’s lots to smile about
- Credit: PA
England have lost both of their opening World Cup matches for the first time in the nation's history, yet life goes on for even the most ardent of supporters.
Perhaps fans need not be too downhearted about the defeats to Italy and Uruguay anyway.
• IT'S SUMMER
And that means sunshine, warm weather, blooming gardens and parks, the seaside and ice cream.
You may also want to watch:
• WIMBLEDON ET AL
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 4 Man suffers injuries after road rage assault near retail park
- 5 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 6 Lifeboat crew rescues three girls out to sea on lilos
- 7 Noise investigation launched after works leave houses 'tremoring'
- 8 St Benedict's Street restaurant closes due to 'pingdemic'
- 9 Thunderstorms set to put dampener on weekend
- 10 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
There is more to the sporting summer than the World Cup. June brings the start of Wimbledon and, this year, the chance to cheer on a British defending champion in Andy Murray.
It is also the cricket season and although England's results have been as disappointing as their footballing counterparts so far, the summer is long and the main spectacle – a home series against India – could bring a change of fortune.
In addition, motor sport enthusiasts have the British Grand Prix to look forward to and there is also the chance to rally behind England at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow. Football? What football?
• THE WORLD CUP IS NOT OVER YET
If it is football you crave, however, the World Cup is barely a week old and what a week it has been.
• AND IF THAT IS NOT ENOUGH
Should all of the above fail to convince, fans can console themselves with the fact the domestic season is only seven weeks away.
Throw in a few barbecues, a holiday and a day trip to the nearest beach during those weeks and the time will fly by.