Champions emerge with fine home record intact
Beccles 24, Wymondham 11: Division 3NE champions Beccles finished off a successful season by maintaining their 100pc home record. Wymondham started the game well but some solid defence, led by Musker McIntyre man of the match Geyser, kept them out.
Beccles 24, Wymondham 11
Division 3NE champions Beccles finished off a successful season by maintaining their 100pc home record.
Wymondham started the game well but some solid defence, led by Musker McIntyre man of the match Geyser, kept them out.
Beccles worked their way out of defence and forced two penalties which Luke Wade converted. They then further stretched their lead with a try as Payne fed the ball to Wade, who cut through the defence. Rob Wilson was supporting well and he received the ball and crashed over. Wade added the conversion.
Wymondham got on the score sheet with a penalty from Stephen Simms. They then added a try before half-time. They drove the ball from a line-out and Chris Brown claimed the touchdown.
- 1 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 2 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 3 'He could've gone all the way' - Mum's tribute to aspiring boxer, 19
- 4 Lloyds to close bank in Norwich suburb
- 5 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 6 Norfolk worst area in UK for uninsured and untaxed drivers
- 7 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 8 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 9 Two Norfolk spots named among best places in Britain for a weekend break
- 10 World War Two aircraft to fly over Norfolk's skies
Beccles had three players taken off before half-time injured. They lost Murray, Veasey-Lark and Williamson to a broken nose, concussion and ankle injury and all were keeping the local hospital staff busy soon after. Despite the changes Beccles extended their lead soon after half-time with another Wade penalty before Wymondham reduced the deficit with a penalty of their own from Simms.
In the end it was Beccles who capped the game with another score. After being stopped close to the try line the ball was recycled quickly and fed wide to Matt Calver who danced through a couple of tackles to score in the corner.
Other result: Beccles II 31, Wymondham II 33.