Challen’s late goal sends Wroxham through in FA Cup

Concord Rangers 1, Wroxham 2: Graham Challen's dramatic 90th minute header earned Wroxham a place in the third qualifying round of the FA Cup last night – and a clash at Conference South outfit Dover Athletic.

The Wroxham skipper gleefully nodded home Gavin Lemmon's fine delivery from the left to shatter Concord hearts. It was sweet revenge for the visitors after being denied at the death in the first tie between the sides on Saturday.

Wroxham made the perfect start, going ahead after just seven minutes. Gary Gilmore's deep cross from the right picked out the unmarked Andy Eastaugh to head home beyond Ashley Miller on the line for his sixth goal of the season.

Keeper Dale Brightly then had to be at his best to deny Paul Cook, tipping behind his low drive for a corner.

Matty Daniels, going away from goal, forced another smart stop from the keeper after 28 minutes.

The hosts sparked into life after that with Steve White and Tony Stokes going close.

Then, on the stroke of half-time, Danny Self sent Nicky Cowley tumbling in the box and the referee pointed straight to the spot. But fortunately for Wroxham Michael Noone blazed his spot kick well over.

Most Read

Concord got back on level terms five minutes into the second half after Josh Carus fouled Stokes in the box. The same player stepped up and made no mistake to equalise.

The hosts piled on the pressure and Scott Howie kept Wroxham in the game with a brilliant one-on-one save from Noone in the 75th minute.

Then, at the death Challen had the final say to leave Wroxham just two wins away from a place in the first round proper.

• Wroxham (4-4-2): Howie, Self, Howes (Terrington, 74), Carus, Challen, Eastaugh, Gilmore, Lemmon, Cook (Durrant, 74), Thompson, Daniels.

• Norwich United scored two second half goals to beat Gorleston 2-0 at Plantation Park in the Ridgeons League Premier Division.

After a dull first period the game sprang to life following the introduction of substitute Thomas Mustapha on 56 minutes.

He quickly pressurised the Greens defence into giving the ball away and was on hand to convert after being set up by Andrew Claydon.

The Planters made it 2-0 on 77 minutes when Ross King's effort came back off the crossbar and Kieran Doherty laid the ball off for Claydon to apply the finishing touch.

Gorleston rarely threatened although they might have taklen the lead early in the second half when Chris Sandford's cross had to be tipped away by Ben Nower.